Re: [Czechlist] krestni jmeno

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 2:46 PM
      Hi Charlie,

      I find "krestni jmeno" perfectly normal. Although it actually suggests
      Christianity and baptism, the term has virtually lost these religious
      clerical connotations, and is now simply an equivalent of "first name"
      or "forename" in English. I personally think it's more correct than
      "jmeno" only...

    • Romana
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 3:06 PM
        Hello Charlie,

        There is nothing wrong about "křestní jméno"; it is still a very popular term and used even by not particularly religious people. At school, I still learned the term "Christian name" in English, but had to relearn not to use it any more when I moved to an English-speaking country. I assume that the religious component will disappear from the Czech term soon, too, but especially older people still use it. In Australia, we write politically correctly "given name".

        Best,
        Romana

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 3:07 PM
          It's fine Charlie,

          krestni jmeno is the official name of our first names... as you asy, a
          simple jmeno would suffice and is more commonly used in questionnaires
          and other contemporary stuff, but I don't think there's anything wrong
          with going the full Monty, so to speak..

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 3:40 PM
            Personally, I prefer using krestni jmeno when there is a risk of
            confusion - in some contexts, 'jmeno' is used for what is actually
            prijmeni.

            In other words, seconded to what Romana and Matej say.

            Martin