krestni jmeno

  • Charlie Stanford Translations
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
      If anyone is still up please can they tell me if it is weird to have the following in a medical questionnaire (a back-translation):

      "Titul:

      K�estn� jm�no:

      P��jmen�:"

      I have never seen "K�estn� jm�no:" like that and would have expected to see "jm�no: p��jmen�:" but maybe it looks fine to Czech NSs.....

      Thanks for any help.

      Charlie

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi Charlie,

        I find "krestni jmeno" perfectly normal. Although it actually suggests
        Christianity and baptism, the term has virtually lost these religious
        clerical connotations, and is now simply an equivalent of "first name"
        or "forename" in English. I personally think it's more correct than
        "jmeno" only...

      • Romana
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
          Hello Charlie,

          There is nothing wrong about "křestní jméno"; it is still a very popular term and used even by not particularly religious people. At school, I still learned the term "Christian name" in English, but had to relearn not to use it any more when I moved to an English-speaking country. I assume that the religious component will disappear from the Czech term soon, too, but especially older people still use it. In Australia, we write politically correctly "given name".

          Best,
          Romana

          If anyone is still up please can they tell me if it is weird to have the following in a medical questionnaire (a back-translation):

          "Titul:

          Køestní jméno:

          Pøíjmení:"

          I have never seen "Køestní jméno:" like that and would have expected to see "jméno: pøíjmení:" but maybe it looks fine to Czech NSs.....

          Thanks for any help.

          Charlie

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
            It's fine Charlie,

            krestni jmeno is the official name of our first names... as you asy, a
            simple jmeno would suffice and is more commonly used in questionnaires
            and other contemporary stuff, but I don't think there's anything wrong
            with going the full Monty, so to speak..

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
              Personally, I prefer using krestni jmeno when there is a risk of
              confusion - in some contexts, 'jmeno' is used for what is actually
              prijmeni.

              In other words, seconded to what Romana and Matej say.

              Martin