Re: [Czechlist] just curious - "rozkoukat se" in English

    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 3, 2012
      "Suss things out" would never be understood in North America. People would think it was a typo.

      To get one's head around something usually means to understand some concept, so even in a physical situation, the concept or idea of what is going on would be important.

      We have a lot of expressions for this, but they very much depend on the actual situation. We'd use a different term for getting used to the dark than we would for a social situation or figuring out the layout of a place. I don't think we have a general expression for this.

      The expressions could range from "get used to the dark" to "get the lay of the land" (which is also used metaphorically). There are a thousand of them, but they're all context dependent.

      Jamie

      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 18, 2012
        In the US we can also say dates both ways, but the dominant usage is the one you think is backwards.

        We can also get A4 paper here, but no one uses it. I think I have a ream of it here somewhere.

        JK

        On Oct 18, 2012, at 8:48 AM, wustpisk wrote:

        >> Czech dates are not backwards, because they really say the dates in that order "jedenacteho zari 2011".
        >
        > And neither are English dates because they really say it in that order as well. However the great thing is that we (in Britain) have the choice to say it the other way too, however by convention and so that the rest of the world can understand, we use the DDMMYYYY format. All EU documents are in that format, for example.
        >
        > Same with A4 paper.

        >> Czech dates are not backwards, because they really say the dates in that order "jedenacteho zari 2011".
        >>
        >> British dates are backwards (at least for us), because we don't say "eleven September 2011". We say "September eleventh 2011". So to track properly when we read them, they should be written as "September 11, 2011". "11 September 2011" always makes my eyes ping-pong, just like newspapers that say things like "to 25,000 from 19,000".
        >>
        >> There's obviously no reason why the US has to emulate Europe in things like this.
        >>
        >> The American word for "autumnal" is "autumnal". As I said, Americans use both "fall" and "autumn", just as did the British who first settled the continent. (This is a case of the British losing something, rather than us changing something.)
        >>
        >> Jamie
        >>
        >> On Oct 18, 2012, at 7:00 AM, wustpisk wrote:
        >>
        >>> I was rather confused about that as well - as this is a 'Czechlist', speaking from a Czech point of view, notwithstanding the 'britishness' of the debate, US dates are also the other way around from Czech dates. Therefore, by your logic, Czech dates are also the 'wrong way around'. Fine.
        >>> e.g. lets take a couple of historical dates
        >>> 11 September 2001 = 11. zari 2001 or 11.9.2001
        >>> 21 November 1969 = 21. listopadu 1969 or 21.11.1969