Re: [Czechlist] Re: Annex

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
      For yours truly, the primary meaning of annex is an attached building.

      FWIW

      Gerry

      On 3 July 2012 13:07, Liz <spacils@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > Yes, it does seem to be used a bit too often, doesn't it? I always thought
      > "annex" was reserved for treaties and the like, but at some point back in
      > the early '00s, Someone More Knowledgeable told me to translate dodatek as
      > "annex" (I usually used addendum or appendix). And since then I've always
      > seen "annex".
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Liz

      > > Did the native English speakers on the list routinely refer to an
      > appendix to a document as an "annex" before the advent of Brusselese? Or is
      > this just a Frenchie thing that took over, like "harmonization"?
      > >
      > > I know dictionaries list "annex" as synonymous with "appendix" where
      > documents are concerned, so it must be English, but I'm wondering if people
      > really used it much before Brusselese.
      > >
      > > Jamie

      7 Old Shoreham Road
      Brighton
      Sussex
      BN1 5DQ
      U.K.

      Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
        Same for me! So maybe that kills my hypothesis that it might be "British" usage. Hmm.

        Jamie