[Czechlist] Annex

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2012
      Did the native English speakers on the list routinely refer to an appendix to a document as an "annex" before the advent of Brusselese? Or is this just a Frenchie thing that took over, like "harmonization"?

      I know dictionaries list "annex" as synonymous with "appendix" where documents are concerned, so it must be English, but I'm wondering if people really used it much before Brusselese.

    • Liz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
        Hi,

        Yes, it does seem to be used a bit too often, doesn't it? I always thought "annex" was reserved for treaties and the like, but at some point back in the early '00s, Someone More Knowledgeable told me to translate dodatek as "annex" (I usually used addendum or appendix). And since then I've always seen "annex".

        Cheers

        Liz

        > Did the native English speakers on the list routinely refer to an appendix to a document as an "annex" before the advent of Brusselese? Or is this just a Frenchie thing that took over, like "harmonization"?
        >
        > I know dictionaries list "annex" as synonymous with "appendix" where documents are concerned, so it must be English, but I'm wondering if people really used it much before Brusselese.

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
          For yours truly, the primary meaning of annex is an attached building.

          FWIW

          Gerry

          On 3 July 2012 13:07, Liz <spacils@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > Yes, it does seem to be used a bit too often, doesn't it? I always thought
          > "annex" was reserved for treaties and the like, but at some point back in
          > the early '00s, Someone More Knowledgeable told me to translate dodatek as
          > "annex" (I usually used addendum or appendix). And since then I've always
          > seen "annex".
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Liz

          > > Did the native English speakers on the list routinely refer to an
          > appendix to a document as an "annex" before the advent of Brusselese? Or is
          > this just a Frenchie thing that took over, like "harmonization"?
          > >
          > > I know dictionaries list "annex" as synonymous with "appendix" where
          > documents are concerned, so it must be English, but I'm wondering if people
          > really used it much before Brusselese.
          > >
          > > Jamie

          7 Old Shoreham Road
          Brighton
          Sussex
          BN1 5DQ
          U.K.

          Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

          To see a World in a Grain of Sand
          And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
          Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
          And Eternity in an hour.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
            Same for me! So maybe that kills my hypothesis that it might be "British" usage. Hmm.

            Jamie