[Czechlist] chov vs. odchov

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
      I've got a document where they're feeding hundreds and thousands of chickens.

      They are distinguishing between "chov" and "odchov", which are translated as almost the same thing in Czech-English dictionaries. So they've got "krmeni behem odchovu" and "Napajeni - chov" and "Napajeni - odchov".

      I think the "napajeni" here is not an electrical supply, but a connection to a silo sending chicken feed into the facility.

      Here's another example where they're distinguishing between the two words:

      "...predkladame upraveny navrh reseni a cenovou nabidku technologie pro odchov a chov prarodicu masnych plemen na teto farme."

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
        Hi Jamie,

        You need to check dedicated farming dicos, not generic ones :-)

        In general, chov - keeping animals ove their whole life cycle. Odchov -
        keeping/growing young ones.
        Napajeni - drinking, or, in other words, supplying water to farm animals.

        hth
        Martin

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
          Thanks, Martin. I with I had those sorts of dictionaries, although in this mess I've got here, it's possible I've got some zemedelsky slovnik that I've forgotten about.

          So with "Napajeni - chov", what's your suggestion for translating "chov"? I'm tempted to say "for older animals", but the client's client will probably scream about that. The problem is that the English words "breed" and "raise" don't track the same as these Czech words. Breeding is actually making the babies, raising is helping them grow, and keeping or maintaining is what you do with the older ones.

          Jamie

          On Jun 9, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

          > Hi Jamie,
          >
          > You need to check dedicated farming dicos, not generic ones :-)
          >
          > In general, chov - keeping animals ove their whole life cycle. Odchov -
          > keeping/growing young ones.
          > Napajeni - drinking, or, in other words, supplying water to farm animals.
          >
          > hth
          > Martin
          >

          > Dne 9.6.2012 17:28, James Kirchner napsal(a):
          >>
          >> I've got a document where they're feeding hundreds and thousands of
          >> chickens.
          >>
          >> They are distinguishing between "chov" and "odchov", which are
          >> translated as almost the same thing in Czech-English dictionaries. So
          >> they've got "krmeni behem odchovu" and "Napajeni - chov" and "Napajeni
          >> - odchov".
          >>
          >> I think the "napajeni" here is not an electrical supply, but a
          >> connection to a silo sending chicken feed into the facility.
          >>
          >> Here's another example where they're distinguishing between the two words:
          >>
          >> "...predkladame upraveny navrh reseni a cenovou nabidku technologie
          >> pro odchov a chov prarodicu masnych plemen na teto farme."
          >>
          >> Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
          >>
          >> Jamie

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
            Odchov is 'rearing' - see this chicken-specific document.
            http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Notice.do?mode=dbl&lang=cs&lng1=cs,en&lng2=bg,cs,da,de,el,en,es,et,fi,fr,hu,it,lt,lv,mt,nl,pl,pt,ro,sk,sl,sv,&val=560711:cs&page=3&hwords=ODCHOV~

            Chov is 'breeding' - see this one, which is not chicken-specific http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Notice.do?mode=dbl&lang=cs&lng1=cs,en&lng2=bg,cs,da,de,el,en,es,et,fi,fr,hu,it,lt,lv,mt,nl,pl,pt,ro,sk,sl,sv,&val=520138:cs&page=3&hwords=ODCHOV~

            Whilst it is almost certain that you must have some zemedelsky slovnik that you have forgotten about, you should always use eur-lex as a first point of reference in such things - it is a mine of information, especially regarding agricultural matters.

            Some interesting information here as well http://www.google.ro/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alex.izona.net%2Fvsczu%2FPrvni%2520semestr%2FChov%2FSkripta%2520Chov%2520zvirat%2520I.doc&ei=AXvTT5erDYOm0QXwzdyNBA&usg=AFQjCNETBMD8pPBeCJLmtnuc4ag2CU0_VA&sig2=E-fAtXs3Thh0SVMBRrzSHA

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
              I would probably go for something like 'Water - (Adult) Pigs/Hen/Cows'
              or whatever your animal is. And 'Water - Chicken/Calfs/Piglets'... for
              the odchov title. If the client's client knows anything about farming,
              s/he should be able to accept that - if it comes to the worst, you can
              always explain them Czechs think along different lines than Americans...

              HTH
              Martin

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                Not sure about English but quality of Czech on Eurlex is appaling, and I
                would not expect any accurate farming jargon there either.

                Martin

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                  This is getting curious, because "odchov" seems to apply to the younger chickens in this document, and "chov" to the older ones. "Rearing" is also a word used for young animals, and "breeding", well, that means breeding.

                  This is going to take some research.

                  Thanks, guys.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                    That's a perfect suggestion. Thank you.

                    Jamie

                    On Jun 9, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

                    > I would probably go for something like 'Water - (Adult) Pigs/Hen/Cows'
                    > or whatever your animal is. And 'Water - Chicken/Calfs/Piglets'... for
                    > the odchov title. If the client's client knows anything about farming,
                    > s/he should be able to accept that - if it comes to the worst, you can
                    > always explain them Czechs think along different lines than Americans...
                    >
                    > HTH
                    > Martin
                    >
                    > Dne 9.6.2012 18:09, James Kirchner napsal(a):
                    >>
                    >> Thanks, Martin. I with I had those sorts of dictionaries, although in
                    >> this mess I've got here, it's possible I've got some zemedelsky
                    >> slovnik that I've forgotten about.
                    >>
                    >> So with "Napajeni - chov", what's your suggestion for translating
                    >> "chov"? I'm tempted to say "for older animals", but the client's
                    >> client will probably scream about that. The problem is that the
                    >> English words "breed" and "raise" don't track the same as these Czech
                    >> words. Breeding is actually making the babies, raising is helping them
                    >> grow, and keeping or maintaining is what you do with the older ones.
                    >>
                    >> Jamie
                    >>
                    >> On Jun 9, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Martin Janda wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Hi Jamie,
                    >>>
                    >>> You need to check dedicated farming dicos, not generic ones :-)
                    >>>
                    >>> In general, chov - keeping animals ove their whole life cycle. Odchov -
                    >>> keeping/growing young ones.
                    >>> Napajeni - drinking, or, in other words, supplying water to farm
                    >> animals.
                    >>>
                    >>> hth
                    >>> Martin

                    >> words:

                  • SABINA KRÁLOVÁ
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                      Hi Jamie,

                      I have a special agricultural dictionary and "odchov kurat" is "chicken rearing", chov (plemenny) is "breading". Let me know if you need anything else.
                      Sabina
                      > On Jun 9, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Martin Janda wrote:
                      >
                      >> I would probably go for something like 'Water - (Adult) Pigs/Hen/Cows'
                      >
                      >> or whatever your animal is. And 'Water - Chicken/Calfs/Piglets'... for
                      >
                      >> the odchov title. If the client's client knows anything about farming,
                      >
                      >> s/he should be able to accept that - if it comes to the worst, you can
                      >
                      >> always explain them Czechs think along different lines than Americans...
                      >

                      >> HTH
                      >
                      >> Martin
                      >

                      >> Dne 9.6.2012 18:09, James Kirchner napsal(a):
                      >

                      >>> Thanks, Martin. I with I had those sorts of dictionaries, although in
                      >
                      >>> this mess I've got here, it's possible I've got some zemedelsky
                      >
                      >>> slovnik that I've forgotten about.
                      >

                      >>> So with "Napajeni - chov", what's your suggestion for translating
                      >
                      >>> "chov"? I'm tempted to say "for older animals", but the client's
                      >
                      >>> client will probably scream about that. The problem is that the
                      >
                      >>> English words "breed" and "raise" don't track the same as these Czech
                      >
                      >>> words. Breeding is actually making the babies, raising is helping them
                      >
                      >>> grow, and keeping or maintaining is what you do with the older ones.
                      >>>
                      >>> Jamie

                      >>> animals.

                      >>> words:

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "SABINA KRÁLOVÁ" <sabina.kralova@...> wrote:
                        > I have a special agricultural dictionary and "odchov kurat" is "chicken rearing", chov (plemenny) is "breading". Let me know if you need anything else.´

                        FWIW Cesko-anglicky slovnik chov skotu lists odchovna mladeho skotu as young stock rearing station and chov both as rearing and breeding.

                        FWIW Cesko-anglicky slovnik chov prasat translates chov prasat as pig, breeding, keeping and raising while odchov selat is piglet rearing and odchov prasat is pig breeding and pig rearing.

                        Which doesn't get you very far. Clearly, there is a lot of overlap in everyday usage of the two terms. At least with pigs and cattle.

                        I wonder if this is relevant:
                        educated and foodie people are confused by the difference between organic, free range, outdoor reared and outdoor bred. The RSPCA and the pork industry are working to standardise these terms and encourage the supermarkets to adopt them...

                        Outdoor-bred, the term used by Waitrose means that the sows are kept outdoors and the piglets spend their first four weeks outdoors until they are weaned and taken indoors to be fattened.

                        Outdoor-reared is a looser term and means that the pigs are outdoors
                        for APPROXIMATELY half their lives.

                        http://www.foodsafari.co.uk/2010/10/truth-behind-the-name-free-range-versus-outdoor-bred-and-reared/

                        Possibly not.

                      • Romana Vlcek
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                          Jamie,
                          The term "breeding = chovat" includes mating of the parents and raising of their babies; "chovat" also has the secondary meaning of "keeping". "Odchov" is, to me, the weaning of the babies, i.e. teaching them or helping them to learn to survive without their parents. The mere keeping and care for old ones would be "pece o" - however, I would be very surprised if that ever happened in a chicken factory, unless those old "prarodice" are still valuable for breeding = chicken production.
                          Romana

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                            Thank you for all the effort everybody has put into this. I think I have enough to get me through the translation now. I'm very grateful.

                            Jamie