Re: [Czechlist] Shaghappy - sorry Melvyn

    Message 1 of 13 , May 4 2:12 PM
      Not sure about Obama and Cameron, but randy would indeed be my guess
      for the two examples quoted..

      Now what about the Czech translation? Can't think of a suitably
      cool-sounding expression that would feel OK in a guide book (trouble is
      Czech and even off-beat guidebooks in Czech are so serious, plus
      forming new cool words is a bit difficult in Czech..)

      Nemravny is outdated and too negative, as is oplzly, lascivni too
      formal and old-fashioned, obscenni like from a police report, oplzly
      comes close, but it's definitely not cool or hip-sounding, prostopasny
      is 18th century, nevazany is a bid broader and 1920's...

      Ma nekdo nejaky napad?

      Message 2 of 13 , May 4 2:27 PM
        Nadrzeny? Fronek says it is only used for chaps, but I am sure I have heard...hmmm, you probably don't want to know what I have heard. :-)

        Message 3 of 13 , May 4 3:23 PM
          That's horny, isn't it? Thought randy was a bit different.. OK, similar
          enough, guess it can be used for women with the appropriate koncovka,
          but it sounds a bit desperate and definitely not cool..

          > Nadrzeny? Fronek says it is only used for chaps, but I am sure I have
          >heard...hmmm, you probably don't want to know what I have heard. :-)
          >
          >BR
          >
          >M.
          >
          >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Not sure about Obama and Cameron, but randy would indeed be my guess
          >> for the two examples quoted..
          >>
          >> Now what about the Czech translation? Can't think of a suitably
          >> cool-sounding expression that would feel OK in a guide book (trouble
          >is
          >> Czech and even off-beat guidebooks in Czech are so serious, plus
          >> forming new cool words is a bit difficult in Czech..)
          >>
          >> Nemravny is outdated and too negative, as is oplzly, lascivni too
          >> formal and old-fashioned, obscenni like from a police report, oplzly
          >> comes close, but it's definitely not cool or hip-sounding,
          >prostopasny
          >> is 18th century, nevazany is a bid broader and 1920's...
          >>
          >> Ma nekdo nejaky napad?

        • Sarka Rubkova
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5 12:54 AM
            A co t�eba rozja�en�? To je celkem neutr�ln� slovo vhodn� i do pr�vodc� a do
            dan�ho kontextu by �lo

            �arka

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , May 5 1:08 AM
              No jo, ale rozjařená muze byt i babicka na svatbe a rohodne to
              neznamena, ze by se chystala ulovit nekoho ze svatebcanu :) Krome toho
              furt to podle me nema ten spravny hip zvuk, i kdyz kdybychom
              pristoupili na posun vyznamu timhle smerem, tak uz by se nejaky moderne
              a cool znejici ekvivalent urcite nasel

              Kdyz si nekdo precte, ze do baru XY chodi rozjareni (mladi) lide, tak
              to podle me znamena ze je tam zivo a legrace, ne ze si tam zeny musi
              davat spise pozor (pokud tedy nejsou naladeny na stejnou notu)
              Napadlo me jeste neco jako uslintany = to by se dalo pouzit jen o
              muzich a jeste neprilis atraktivnich, spis je to neco jako sleazy...
              takze porad nevim, might be a case of the English have the word for
              it... we have words too, but they don't cover the same ground and do
              not sound as good in the given context.. Bet the younger generation
              could come up with something, though..

              Message 6 of 13 , May 5 1:16 AM
                Thank you to all of you for your suggestions - Sarka, Melvyn and Matej. She
                liked prostopasny most. The real problem I think though is that I haven't
                really got a clue what is meant by shag-happy if David Cameron and Barack
                Obama are "smooth-talking shag-happy liars" - maybe "shag" means something
                very different in a US context. Anyway there are so many colourful terms in
                Lonely Planet that I have never heard before that you need to have written
                the Urban Dictionary to understand them. Perhaps Czech visitors to this
                particular hotel may just have to find out for themselves.

                "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:

                >> Not sure about Obama and Cameron, but randy would indeed be my guess
                >> for the two examples quoted..
                >>
                >> Now what about the Czech translation? Can't think of a suitably
                >> cool-sounding expression that would feel OK in a guide book (trouble
                >is
                >> Czech and even off-beat guidebooks in Czech are so serious, plus
                >> forming new cool words is a bit difficult in Czech..)
                >>
                >> Nemravny is outdated and too negative, as is oplzly, lascivni too
                >> formal and old-fashioned, obscenni like from a police report, oplzly
                >> comes close, but it's definitely not cool or hip-sounding,
                >prostopasny
                >> is 18th century, nevazany is a bid broader and 1920's...
                >>
                >> Ma nekdo nejaky napad?

              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 13 , May 5 2:39 AM
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Stanford Translations" <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:
                  The real problem I think though is that I haven't
                  > really got a clue what is meant by shag-happy if David Cameron and Barack
                  > Obama are "smooth-talking shag-happy liars"

                  Sometimes people use words very loosely - just because they sound good. Here, for example, "smooth-talking shag-happy liar" seems to refer in a general way (?from a strongly religious standpoint?) to one who lives a dissolute life and gets his wicked way through charm and deceit.

                  http://matthewdelooze.blogspot.com/2012/03/retinal-detachment-in-truth-movement.html

                  Could be a bit of a red herring IMHO.

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5 10:34 AM

                    > That's horny, isn't it? Thought randy was a bit different..

                    Well, you have got me thinking there. But these are subtle distinctions anyway IMHO.

                    OK, similar
                    > enough, guess it can be used for women with the appropriate koncovka,
                    > but it sounds a bit desperate and definitely not cool..

                    As we saw in the Cameron and Obama case, shag-happy can be used to describe uncool behaviour.

                    Prostopasny strikes me as rather literary. Like somebody has been reading far too much Karasek ze Lvovic. How about chtivy sexu? Or sexuchtivy?

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5 10:44 AM
                      Ma nekdo zkusenosti s prekladem techto soudnich dokumentu/nazvu do CZ:

                      Party A submits MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES in reply to Party
                      B's Memorandum in Opposition to Party A's Amended Motion to Strike the
                      Declarations of yyy (yyy are people)

                      Memorandum Of Points And AuthoritiesA document that cites (refers to)
                      legal authorities such as statutes and court cases, and explains how
                      those authorities support the position advocated by the party who wrote
                      the memorandum. Often written to support a motion.Nemuzu najit CZ
                      ekvivalent krome uplne nesmyslneho na ProZ
                      Memorandum in opposition - je tady opposition namitka??

                      (AMENDED) MOTION TO STRIKE DECLARATIONS - muze to byt navrh na
                      vyskrtnuti/vyneti prohlaseni

                      Diky za navrhy, Google mlci jako hrob..

                      Matej

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 5 10:58 AM

                        > That's horny, isn't it? Thought randy was a bit different..

                        > Well, you have got me thinking there. But these are subtle
                        distinctions anyway IMHO.

                        It can be, I guess, in Czech however, nadrzeny is just sexually
                        frustrated (very much so), and it sounds desperate... not athing to say
                        about a trendy bar...

                        > As we saw in the Cameron and Obama case, shag-happy can be used to
                        describe uncool behaviour.

                        Yes, I meant the term itself was cool-sounding/hip

                        > Prostopasny strikes me as rather literary. Like somebody has been
                        reading far too much Karasek ze Lvovic.

                        Yep, definitely 19th century or earlier...

                        > How about chtivy sexu? Or sexuchtivy?

                        Now we're talking!!
                        Ze se nestydime, ze vsech cechorodilaku je nejlepsi Melvyn..

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 5 11:10 AM
                          Actually, I have a feeling I'm not going to get a simple answer with
                          Czech terms/names...

                          Maybe someone familiar with US court procedure can confirm my theories:
                          MOTION TO STRIKE DECLARATIONS of XX

                          is this a navrh na vyskrtnuti prohlaseni XX (ze spisu)???? I also found
                          suggestions that 'motion to strike' means something like 'navrh na
                          ukonceni rizeni', alth' that sounds unlikley here

                          (another context:) Moreover, even if the matter sought to be stricken
                          was relevant to this determination
                          i kdyby informace, o jejichž vyškrtnutí ze spisu se jedná, byly
                          relevantní pro ... sounds reasonable???

                          Memorandum in opposition - je tady opposition namitka??
                          context: The main argument relied upon by Party A in its Opposition is
                          that the scandalous and hearsay matter set forth in the Declarations of
                          XX

                          Thanks