Shaghappy - sorry Melvyn

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 13 , May 4, 2012
      It is written in the Czechlist Users' Guide:

      ...because this is a language list, vulgar and/or offensive words are sometimes actually the subject of discussion. There is no need to feel squeamish about mentioning a word of this kind in such a context... [smelling salts required if you wish to read on]
      https://sites.google.com/site/czechlist2/

      I found another example on the Lonely Planet site, so possibly by the same author?

      the tequila flows as freely as the testosterone, and a shag-happy crowd sweats it out to live music until dawn.

      My impression from this context is that it basically means (caution: low colloquial expression ahead) randy. Can't imagine what else it could mean.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 4, 2012
        Not sure about Obama and Cameron, but randy would indeed be my guess
        for the two examples quoted..

        Now what about the Czech translation? Can't think of a suitably
        cool-sounding expression that would feel OK in a guide book (trouble is
        Czech and even off-beat guidebooks in Czech are so serious, plus
        forming new cool words is a bit difficult in Czech..)

        Nemravny is outdated and too negative, as is oplzly, lascivni too
        formal and old-fashioned, obscenni like from a police report, oplzly
        comes close, but it's definitely not cool or hip-sounding, prostopasny
        is 18th century, nevazany is a bid broader and 1920's...

        Ma nekdo nejaky napad?

        >It is written in the Czechlist Users' Guide:
        >
        >...because this is a language list, vulgar and/or offensive words are
        >sometimes actually the subject of discussion. There is no need to feel
        >squeamish about mentioning a word of this kind in such a context...
        >[smelling salts required if you wish to read on]
        >https://sites.google.com/site/czechlist2/
        >
        >I found another example on the Lonely Planet site, so possibly by the
        >same author?
        >
        >the tequila flows as freely as the testosterone, and a shag-happy
        >crowd sweats it out to live music until dawn.
        >
        >My impression from this context is that it basically means (caution:
        >low colloquial expression ahead) randy. Can't imagine what else it
        >could mean.
        >
        >BR
        >
        >M.
        >
        >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Stanford Translations"
        ><charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hope I am not going to offend anyone with this. My girlfriend is
        >translating something from Lonely Planet into Czech and it talks about
        >a hotel which attracts a "young, hip and shag-happy crowd - the
        >rooftop bar fairly pulses". Shag-happy to me means that they are out
        >looking for sex, but I might be mixing my dialects and she found a
        >blog entry describing David Cameron and Barack Obama as
        >"smooth-talking shag-happy liars" so I cannot see that my
        >interpretation really fits. Thanks in advance
        >>
        >> Charlie

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2012
          Nadrzeny? Fronek says it is only used for chaps, but I am sure I have heard...hmmm, you probably don't want to know what I have heard. :-)

          Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2012
            That's horny, isn't it? Thought randy was a bit different.. OK, similar
            enough, guess it can be used for women with the appropriate koncovka,
            but it sounds a bit desperate and definitely not cool..

            > Nadrzeny? Fronek says it is only used for chaps, but I am sure I have
            >heard...hmmm, you probably don't want to know what I have heard. :-)
            >
            >BR
            >
            >M.
            >
            >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Not sure about Obama and Cameron, but randy would indeed be my guess
            >> for the two examples quoted..
            >>
            >> Now what about the Czech translation? Can't think of a suitably
            >> cool-sounding expression that would feel OK in a guide book (trouble
            >is
            >> Czech and even off-beat guidebooks in Czech are so serious, plus
            >> forming new cool words is a bit difficult in Czech..)
            >>
            >> Nemravny is outdated and too negative, as is oplzly, lascivni too
            >> formal and old-fashioned, obscenni like from a police report, oplzly
            >> comes close, but it's definitely not cool or hip-sounding,
            >prostopasny
            >> is 18th century, nevazany is a bid broader and 1920's...
            >>
            >> Ma nekdo nejaky napad?

          • Sarka Rubkova
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2012
              A co t�eba rozja�en�? To je celkem neutr�ln� slovo vhodn� i do pr�vodc� a do
              dan�ho kontextu by �lo

              �arka

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2012
                No jo, ale rozjařená muze byt i babicka na svatbe a rohodne to
                neznamena, ze by se chystala ulovit nekoho ze svatebcanu :) Krome toho
                furt to podle me nema ten spravny hip zvuk, i kdyz kdybychom
                pristoupili na posun vyznamu timhle smerem, tak uz by se nejaky moderne
                a cool znejici ekvivalent urcite nasel

                Kdyz si nekdo precte, ze do baru XY chodi rozjareni (mladi) lide, tak
                to podle me znamena ze je tam zivo a legrace, ne ze si tam zeny musi
                davat spise pozor (pokud tedy nejsou naladeny na stejnou notu)
                Napadlo me jeste neco jako uslintany = to by se dalo pouzit jen o
                muzich a jeste neprilis atraktivnich, spis je to neco jako sleazy...
                takze porad nevim, might be a case of the English have the word for
                it... we have words too, but they don't cover the same ground and do
                not sound as good in the given context.. Bet the younger generation
                could come up with something, though..

                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2012
                  Thank you to all of you for your suggestions - Sarka, Melvyn and Matej. She
                  liked prostopasny most. The real problem I think though is that I haven't
                  really got a clue what is meant by shag-happy if David Cameron and Barack
                  Obama are "smooth-talking shag-happy liars" - maybe "shag" means something
                  very different in a US context. Anyway there are so many colourful terms in
                  Lonely Planet that I have never heard before that you need to have written
                  the Urban Dictionary to understand them. Perhaps Czech visitors to this
                  particular hotel may just have to find out for themselves.

                  "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:

                  >> Not sure about Obama and Cameron, but randy would indeed be my guess
                  >> for the two examples quoted..
                  >>
                  >> Now what about the Czech translation? Can't think of a suitably
                  >> cool-sounding expression that would feel OK in a guide book (trouble
                  >is
                  >> Czech and even off-beat guidebooks in Czech are so serious, plus
                  >> forming new cool words is a bit difficult in Czech..)
                  >>
                  >> Nemravny is outdated and too negative, as is oplzly, lascivni too
                  >> formal and old-fashioned, obscenni like from a police report, oplzly
                  >> comes close, but it's definitely not cool or hip-sounding,
                  >prostopasny
                  >> is 18th century, nevazany is a bid broader and 1920's...
                  >>
                  >> Ma nekdo nejaky napad?

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2012
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Stanford Translations" <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:
                    The real problem I think though is that I haven't
                    > really got a clue what is meant by shag-happy if David Cameron and Barack
                    > Obama are "smooth-talking shag-happy liars"

                    Sometimes people use words very loosely - just because they sound good. Here, for example, "smooth-talking shag-happy liar" seems to refer in a general way (?from a strongly religious standpoint?) to one who lives a dissolute life and gets his wicked way through charm and deceit.

                    http://matthewdelooze.blogspot.com/2012/03/retinal-detachment-in-truth-movement.html

                    Could be a bit of a red herring IMHO.

                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5, 2012

                      > That's horny, isn't it? Thought randy was a bit different..

                      Well, you have got me thinking there. But these are subtle distinctions anyway IMHO.

                      OK, similar
                      > enough, guess it can be used for women with the appropriate koncovka,
                      > but it sounds a bit desperate and definitely not cool..

                      As we saw in the Cameron and Obama case, shag-happy can be used to describe uncool behaviour.

                      Prostopasny strikes me as rather literary. Like somebody has been reading far too much Karasek ze Lvovic. How about chtivy sexu? Or sexuchtivy?

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 5, 2012
                        Ma nekdo zkusenosti s prekladem techto soudnich dokumentu/nazvu do CZ:

                        Party A submits MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES in reply to Party
                        B's Memorandum in Opposition to Party A's Amended Motion to Strike the
                        Declarations of yyy (yyy are people)

                        Memorandum Of Points And AuthoritiesA document that cites (refers to)
                        legal authorities such as statutes and court cases, and explains how
                        those authorities support the position advocated by the party who wrote
                        the memorandum. Often written to support a motion.Nemuzu najit CZ
                        ekvivalent krome uplne nesmyslneho na ProZ
                        Memorandum in opposition - je tady opposition namitka??

                        (AMENDED) MOTION TO STRIKE DECLARATIONS - muze to byt navrh na
                        vyskrtnuti/vyneti prohlaseni

                        Diky za navrhy, Google mlci jako hrob..

                        Matej

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 5, 2012

                          > That's horny, isn't it? Thought randy was a bit different..

                          > Well, you have got me thinking there. But these are subtle
                          distinctions anyway IMHO.

                          It can be, I guess, in Czech however, nadrzeny is just sexually
                          frustrated (very much so), and it sounds desperate... not athing to say
                          about a trendy bar...

                          > As we saw in the Cameron and Obama case, shag-happy can be used to
                          describe uncool behaviour.

                          Yes, I meant the term itself was cool-sounding/hip

                          > Prostopasny strikes me as rather literary. Like somebody has been
                          reading far too much Karasek ze Lvovic.

                          Yep, definitely 19th century or earlier...

                          > How about chtivy sexu? Or sexuchtivy?

                          Now we're talking!!
                          Ze se nestydime, ze vsech cechorodilaku je nejlepsi Melvyn..

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 5, 2012
                            Actually, I have a feeling I'm not going to get a simple answer with
                            Czech terms/names...

                            Maybe someone familiar with US court procedure can confirm my theories:
                            MOTION TO STRIKE DECLARATIONS of XX

                            is this a navrh na vyskrtnuti prohlaseni XX (ze spisu)???? I also found
                            suggestions that 'motion to strike' means something like 'navrh na
                            ukonceni rizeni', alth' that sounds unlikley here

                            (another context:) Moreover, even if the matter sought to be stricken
                            was relevant to this determination
                            i kdyby informace, o jejichž vyškrtnutí ze spisu se jedná, byly
                            relevantní pro ... sounds reasonable???

                            Memorandum in opposition - je tady opposition namitka??
                            context: The main argument relied upon by Party A in its Opposition is
                            that the scandalous and hearsay matter set forth in the Declarations of
                            XX

                            Thanks