[Czechlist] CULTURE: graficke zpracovani

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2012
      I've run into another interesting difference in perception between English and Czech:

      graficke zpracovani

      In some of the texts I translate, the Czech original treats what in English would be considered design as a type of data processing. So you get statements like this, which if translated literally into English would be downright weird:

      "Data zpracovavame ve vseobecne uznavanych grafickych programech (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, PageMaker, QuarkXPress, FrameMaker, CorelDraw atd.)."

      The English-speaking mind (or at least the American mind) does not think of designing on a computer as processing data. It's considered more akin to drawing or painting, and the computer is almost incidental.

      I don't know how relevant this is, but most younger Americans tend to be totally stupid as to what a computer is and how it processes data. People now in their 50s (at least in my town) were taught at age 10 to do binary addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, so understanding computers is not a big jump. However, when teaching linguistics to contemporary American education students -- even those training to be math and science teachers :-S -- I found that the vast majority of them don't know what the word "binary" means, and it's hard to teach them the concept. This means that they have no clue how a computer works and basically think of it as a TV that "knows" things. So "processing data" is the farthest thing from their minds, and doing things in a computer has little to do with data.