[Czechlist] plug in, unplug

    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 29 8:29 AM
      This problem comes up in translation memory again and again, so...

      To whom it may concern:

      We do not say:
      "connect the the appliance to the electrical supply by inserting the plug of the cable into the socket"
      We say:
      "plug the appliance in"

      We do not say:
      "disconnect the appliance from the electrical supply by removing the plug from the socket"
      We say:
      "unplug the appliance"

      I'm sorry Czech and German do not have equivalent words. In case you think the real English is not precise enough, let's check the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

      plug in
      to establish an electric circuit by inserting a plug
      to attach or connect to an electric receptacle (as an outlet)

      unplug
      to disconnect from an electric circuit by removing a plug

      Thank you for your consideration. I hope you implement this new knowledge.

      Message 33 of 33 , May 8, 2012
        And someday, when I'm retired and have the leisure to search, reread and catalog all my postings, I probably won't repeat myself as much.

        Jamie