[Czechlist] Worst book for budding translators

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2012
      I have on my desk the worst book I have ever seen for translators. It is called "Anglictina pro prekladatele" and it is written by Jarmila Prosvicova. It convinces me that publishing standards for language books in the CR have not improved much since I reamed out the publisher of "Reading About the English-Speaking Countries" in the early 1990s.

      The woman who wrote this book really doesn't appear to know English very well, and her mistakes remind me of those of poor-quality court interpreters here where I live.

      One one page she gets "keep an eye on something" confused with "keep an eye out for something".

      She gets her articles wrong, as when she teaches the phrase "Once upon the time..."

      She has no control over the conditional mood, so she gives examples like, "If it was nice weather, I would go for a walk." (Not to mention the fact that in English we don't say, "If it is nice weather..." or, "If it were nice weather...", unless you speak one of those dialects where they say, "It won't be a thing I can do for you," etc.)

      And I still wonder why people in Czech ESL books "fancy" everything so much.

      Just a really crummy book. You native English speakers living in CZ should produce something better.