Re: [Czechlist] vykonanim statnej skusky

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      It doesn't matter what Czechs know about graduating from a Czech university.

      The text will be in English, so it's important what English speakers know about that, which is nothing.

      Therefore it is important in English to indicate that the person graduated and passed a state examination, because this indicates to the English-speaking reader that the person's educational achievement conforms to some national standard, which would not necessarily be the case with someone graduating from a university in the English-speaking world.

      This is vital information and should not be left out.

      Jamie

      On Mar 1, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

      > As no one seems to have responded to the graduation options question,
      > here we go Charlie: No, I don't think you are able to graduate from a
      > Czech university unless you pass a statni zkouska. (Not sure about
      > 'prava v Plzni' and similar schools though.)
      >
      > If I was to translate this text, I would simply go for 'gratuated from'
      > but admittedly, many Czech clients expect the zkouska thing to appear in
      > an English translation they have paid for.
      >

      > HTH
      > Martin
      >
      > Dne 1.3.2012 16:50, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
      >> A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
      >> studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as ?has completed a
      >> course of university studies, culminating in an examination?. She didn't
      >> like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
      >> my thinking was that every university course ends in a ?state examination?
      >> and so I felt that ?state? was redundant in English. You don?t have
      >> university courses ending in ?regional examinations? ? they all end with
      >> the ?state examination? and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
      >> too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
      >> does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
      >> you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium? in any other way than "vykonanim
      >> statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
      >> assessment. Hope that makes sense.
      >>
      >> Charlie

    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
        I usually translat it as a "professional proficiency examination" because,
        together with the thesis it should prove that you are able to work as an
        professional in a certain area. It usually covers more subjects.

        Sarka