Re: [Czechlist] MSDS question (respiration vs. inhalation)

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      I've only done a few, but isn't respiration longer/regular and in/out
      (dychani) and inhallation only one way (in) and presumably instant, or
      at least not regular (vdechnuti)???

      I would think the diff. on a MSDS may be between accidental inhalation
      (one off) of something and regular respiration during work etc..

      Hard to say without context.... respiration sometimes comes across as
      vydechovani/vydechovy (as in respiration calorimeter), but I think
      that's just because we call it vydechovy and the original meaning
      doesn't include breathing (only) out...

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
        Respiration is both ways Kostas - exhalation and inhalation (Matej is right)

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
          Yes but not in the context of MSDS, I am afraid - in those, both words
          mean you get the toxic stuff into your lungs.

          Personally, I can't see any tangible difference to be conveyed in Czech
          either.

          Martin

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
            I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
            inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
            only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
            breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
            as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
            thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
            kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
            be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
            on a MSDS??

            Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
            could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
            involved..

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
              No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
              is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
              you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
              an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.

              However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
              any RMAJ confirm that please?

              Thanks
              The other M

              Dne 1.3.2012 18:52, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
              > I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
              > inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
              > only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
              > breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
              > as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
              > thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
              > kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
              > be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
              > on a MSDS??
              >
              > Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
              > could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
              > involved..

            • Kostas
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                So this could be made to Czech as vdechovani (respiration) vs. vdechnuti (inhalation), which is also implied in what both Charlie and Matej are indirectly saying. Am I right?

                K.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                > No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                > is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                > you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                > an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.
                >
                > However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                > any RMAJ confirm that please?
                >
                > Thanks
                > The other M
                >

                > Dne 1.3.2012 18:52, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                > > I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
                > > inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
                > > only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
                > > breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
                > > as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
                > > thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
                > > kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
                > > be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
                > > on a MSDS??
                > >
                > > Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
                > > could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
                > > involved..

              • Petr
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Pozor: Bohuzel jsem si tehdy nepoznamenal zdroj, ale ted jsem narychlo nasel toto vymezeni:
                  Vdechovatelnou frakci prachu se rozumi soubor castic poletaveho prachu, ktere mohou byt vdechnuty nosem nebo usty. Respirabilni frakci se rozumi hmotnostni frakce vdechnutych castic, ktere pronikaji do te casti dychacich cest, kde neni rasinkovy epitel, a do plicnich sklipku.
                  Takze se radeji zahloubej na Googlu do problematiky pojmu "vdechovatelny" a "respirabilni" v ramci legislativy na ochranu zdravi pri praci.
                  Petr Adamek
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kostas" <kzgafas@...> wrote:

                  > So this could be made to Czech as vdechovani (respiration) vs. vdechnuti (inhalation), which is also implied in what both Charlie and Matej are indirectly saying. Am I right?
                  >
                  > K.
                  >
                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                  > > is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                  > > you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                  > > an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.
                  > >
                  > > However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                  > > any RMAJ confirm that please?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > The other M
                  > >

                  > > Dne 1.3.2012 18:52, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                  > > > I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
                  > > > inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
                  > > > only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
                  > > > breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
                  > > > as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
                  > > > thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
                  > > > kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
                  > > > be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
                  > > > on a MSDS??
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
                  > > > could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
                  > > > involved..

                • Kostas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
                    No nakonec ja bych to vlastne mohl nechat na autorovi a ridit se pravidlem, ze jsem pouhy prekladatel.

                    K.

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Petr" <padamek@...> wrote:

                    > Pozor: Bohuzel jsem si tehdy nepoznamenal zdroj, ale ted jsem narychlo nasel toto vymezeni:
                    > Vdechovatelnou frakci prachu se rozumi soubor castic poletaveho prachu, ktere mohou byt vdechnuty nosem nebo usty. Respirabilni frakci se rozumi hmotnostni frakce vdechnutych castic, ktere pronikaji do te casti dychacich cest, kde neni rasinkovy epitel, a do plicnich sklipku.
                    > Takze se radeji zahloubej na Googlu do problematiky pojmu "vdechovatelny" a "respirabilni" v ramci legislativy na ochranu zdravi pri praci.
                    > Petr Adamek
                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kostas" <kzgafas@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So this could be made to Czech as vdechovani (respiration) vs. vdechnuti (inhalation), which is also implied in what both Charlie and Matej are indirectly saying. Am I right?
                    > >
                    > > K.
                    > >
                    > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                    > > > is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                    > > > you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                    > > > an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.
                    > > >
                    > > > However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                    > > > any RMAJ confirm that please?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks
                    > > > The other M

                  • Kostas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                      Ahoj Petøe:

                      Ja ted prekladam chemicky patent. Je to asi 14 tisic slov. Mel bys zajem udelat korekturu? Rekneme 115 Kc/NS? Dej mi vedet.

                      Kostas