MSDS question (respiration vs. inhalation)

  • Kostas
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      For those of you how translate MSDSs: what you think the difference is between these two?

      K.
    • Ing. Jiří Klíma
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
        Ahoj Kostasi

        Respiration bych p�elo�il jako d�ch�n� a inhalation jako vdechov�n�

        Jirka

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
          I've only done a few, but isn't respiration longer/regular and in/out
          (dychani) and inhallation only one way (in) and presumably instant, or
          at least not regular (vdechnuti)???

          I would think the diff. on a MSDS may be between accidental inhalation
          (one off) of something and regular respiration during work etc..

          Hard to say without context.... respiration sometimes comes across as
          vydechovani/vydechovy (as in respiration calorimeter), but I think
          that's just because we call it vydechovy and the original meaning
          doesn't include breathing (only) out...

          > For those of you how translate MSDSs: what you think the difference
          >is between these two?
          >
          >K.
          >

          >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6929
          >(20120301) __________

          >http://www.eset.cz/

        • Charles Stanford
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
            Respiration is both ways Kostas - exhalation and inhalation (Matej is right)

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
              Yes but not in the context of MSDS, I am afraid - in those, both words
              mean you get the toxic stuff into your lungs.

              Personally, I can't see any tangible difference to be conveyed in Czech
              either.

              Martin

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
                inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
                only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
                breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
                as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
                thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
                kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
                be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
                on a MSDS??

                Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
                could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
                involved..

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                  No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                  is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                  you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                  an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.

                  However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                  any RMAJ confirm that please?

                  Thanks
                  The other M

                  Dne 1.3.2012 18:52, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                  > I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
                  > inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
                  > only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
                  > breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
                  > as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
                  > thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
                  > kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
                  > be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
                  > on a MSDS??
                  >
                  > Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
                  > could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
                  > involved..

                • Kostas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                    So this could be made to Czech as vdechovani (respiration) vs. vdechnuti (inhalation), which is also implied in what both Charlie and Matej are indirectly saying. Am I right?

                    K.

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                    > No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                    > is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                    > you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                    > an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.
                    >
                    > However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                    > any RMAJ confirm that please?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > The other M
                    >

                    > Dne 1.3.2012 18:52, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                    > > I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
                    > > inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
                    > > only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
                    > > breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
                    > > as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
                    > > thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
                    > > kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
                    > > be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
                    > > on a MSDS??
                    > >
                    > > Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
                    > > could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
                    > > involved..

                  • Petr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
                      Pozor: Bohuzel jsem si tehdy nepoznamenal zdroj, ale ted jsem narychlo nasel toto vymezeni:
                      Vdechovatelnou frakci prachu se rozumi soubor castic poletaveho prachu, ktere mohou byt vdechnuty nosem nebo usty. Respirabilni frakci se rozumi hmotnostni frakce vdechnutych castic, ktere pronikaji do te casti dychacich cest, kde neni rasinkovy epitel, a do plicnich sklipku.
                      Takze se radeji zahloubej na Googlu do problematiky pojmu "vdechovatelny" a "respirabilni" v ramci legislativy na ochranu zdravi pri praci.
                      Petr Adamek
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kostas" <kzgafas@...> wrote:

                      > So this could be made to Czech as vdechovani (respiration) vs. vdechnuti (inhalation), which is also implied in what both Charlie and Matej are indirectly saying. Am I right?
                      >
                      > K.
                      >
                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                      > > is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                      > > you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                      > > an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.
                      > >
                      > > However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                      > > any RMAJ confirm that please?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > > The other M
                      > >

                      > > Dne 1.3.2012 18:52, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                      > > > I'm not a MSDS expert as I said, but I can imagine a difference between
                      > > > inhaling something (possibly very toxic and possibly by accident and
                      > > > only once or for a short period of time anyway) and respiring, i.e.
                      > > > breathing in a place where something (presumably something milder, not
                      > > > as toxic) is used... there could be a warning that using certain
                      > > > thinners in an unventilated space might make you feel giddy - it won't
                      > > > kill you and it's not a huge health risk, it's not like you're going to
                      > > > be wearing a breathing apparatus, but I imagine they have to mention it
                      > > > on a MSDS??
                      > > >
                      > > > Anyway, that's just guessing, context should make things clear, the two
                      > > > could be interchangeable in some contexts - and especially with no NS's
                      > > > involved..

                    • Kostas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
                        No nakonec ja bych to vlastne mohl nechat na autorovi a ridit se pravidlem, ze jsem pouhy prekladatel.

                        K.

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Petr" <padamek@...> wrote:

                        > Pozor: Bohuzel jsem si tehdy nepoznamenal zdroj, ale ted jsem narychlo nasel toto vymezeni:
                        > Vdechovatelnou frakci prachu se rozumi soubor castic poletaveho prachu, ktere mohou byt vdechnuty nosem nebo usty. Respirabilni frakci se rozumi hmotnostni frakce vdechnutych castic, ktere pronikaji do te casti dychacich cest, kde neni rasinkovy epitel, a do plicnich sklipku.
                        > Takze se radeji zahloubej na Googlu do problematiky pojmu "vdechovatelny" a "respirabilni" v ramci legislativy na ochranu zdravi pri praci.
                        > Petr Adamek
                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kostas" <kzgafas@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So this could be made to Czech as vdechovani (respiration) vs. vdechnuti (inhalation), which is also implied in what both Charlie and Matej are indirectly saying. Am I right?
                        > >
                        > > K.
                        > >
                        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > No, the context does not make clear anything at all. The typical context
                        > > > is, Respiring/inhaling xxxx is toxic/dangerous/makes you blisters. (And
                        > > > you've guessed it, xxx is the chemical name.) And the sentence is just
                        > > > an item in a long list of similar loose sentences.
                        > > >
                        > > > However, the short/long exposition suggestion sounds interesting - can
                        > > > any RMAJ confirm that please?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks
                        > > > The other M

                      • Kostas
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                          Ahoj Petøe:

                          Ja ted prekladam chemicky patent. Je to asi 14 tisic slov. Mel bys zajem udelat korekturu? Rekneme 115 Kc/NS? Dej mi vedet.

                          Kostas