Re: [Czechlist] vykonanim statnej skusky

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      At least in the English-speaking country where I live, there is no such thing as a state exam at the end of a university course. The exam is just drawn up by the professor.

      So you need to put "state" before "examination", because that indicates to English speakers that it was some kind of standardized national examination administered by, or at least accepted by the government.

      Also, "culminating" is quite correct in this usage.

      Jamie

      On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Charles Stanford wrote:

      > A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
      > studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as "has completed a
      > course of university studies, culminating in an examination". She didn't
      > like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
      > my thinking was that every university course ends in a "state examination"
      > and so I felt that "state" was redundant in English. You don't have
      > university courses ending in "regional examinations" - they all end with
      > the "state examination" and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
      > too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
      > does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
      > you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium" in any other way than "vykonanim
      > statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
      > assessment. Hope that makes sense.
      >
      > Charlie

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

        > I don't think there is too much wrong with the culminating, it just means
        > "ending in" - just try Googling "course of studies culminating in" - cf.

        Neat idea IMO.

        We were talking about the "state" problem a couple of years ago. This thread may be relevant:

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          As no one seems to have responded to the graduation options question,
          here we go Charlie: No, I don't think you are able to graduate from a
          Czech university unless you pass a statni zkouska. (Not sure about
          'prava v Plzni' and similar schools though.)

          If I was to translate this text, I would simply go for 'gratuated from'
          but admittedly, many Czech clients expect the zkouska thing to appear in
          an English translation they have paid for.

          HTH
          Martin

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            It doesn't matter what Czechs know about graduating from a Czech university.

            The text will be in English, so it's important what English speakers know about that, which is nothing.

            Therefore it is important in English to indicate that the person graduated and passed a state examination, because this indicates to the English-speaking reader that the person's educational achievement conforms to some national standard, which would not necessarily be the case with someone graduating from a university in the English-speaking world.

            This is vital information and should not be left out.

            Jamie

            On Mar 1, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

            > As no one seems to have responded to the graduation options question,
            > here we go Charlie: No, I don't think you are able to graduate from a
            > Czech university unless you pass a statni zkouska. (Not sure about
            > 'prava v Plzni' and similar schools though.)
            >
            > If I was to translate this text, I would simply go for 'gratuated from'
            > but admittedly, many Czech clients expect the zkouska thing to appear in
            > an English translation they have paid for.
            >

            > HTH
            > Martin
            >
            > Dne 1.3.2012 16:50, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
            >> A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
            >> studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as ?has completed a
            >> course of university studies, culminating in an examination?. She didn't
            >> like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
            >> my thinking was that every university course ends in a ?state examination?
            >> and so I felt that ?state? was redundant in English. You don?t have
            >> university courses ending in ?regional examinations? ? they all end with
            >> the ?state examination? and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
            >> too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
            >> does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
            >> you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium? in any other way than "vykonanim
            >> statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
            >> assessment. Hope that makes sense.
            >>
            >> Charlie

          • Sarka Rubkova
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
              I usually translat it as a "professional proficiency examination" because,
              together with the thesis it should prove that you are able to work as an
              professional in a certain area. It usually covers more subjects.

              Sarka