vykonanim statnej skusky

  • Charles Stanford
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
      studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as �has completed a
      course of university studies, culminating in an examination�. She didn't
      like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
      my thinking was that every university course ends in a �state examination�
      and so I felt that �state� was redundant in English. You don�t have
      university courses ending in �regional examinations� � they all end with
      the �state examination� and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
      too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
      does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
      you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium� in any other way than "vykonanim
      statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
      assessment. Hope that makes sense.

      Charlie

    • Tomas Mosler
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        I can see your point but I think it's no real issue to use it in there (or at least "final" - because "an examination" indeed sounds just like any uni examination, so it would be more difficult to see the difference if both types were used in a longer text).

        What makes me wonder a bit is rather the use of "culminating" - I thought (non-natively) this is more suitable for e.g. tide level or seasonal shopping fever? :) Would something like "passing [whatever] examination" sound more dreadful?

        Tomas

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

        > A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
        > studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as "has completed a
        > course of university studies, culminating in an examination". She didn't
        > like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
        > my thinking was that every university course ends in a "state examination"
        > and so I felt that "state" was redundant in English. You don't have
        > university courses ending in "regional examinations" – they all end with
        > the "state examination" and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
        > too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
        > does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
        > you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium" in any other way than "vykonanim
        > statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
        > assessment. Hope that makes sense.
        >
        > Charlie

      • Charles Stanford
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          I don't think there is too much wrong with the culminating, it just means
          "ending in" - just try Googling "course of studies culminating in" - cf.
          for example http://www.colaistepc.ie/senior_cycle.html quite a few
          others....

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            At least in the English-speaking country where I live, there is no such thing as a state exam at the end of a university course. The exam is just drawn up by the professor.

            So you need to put "state" before "examination", because that indicates to English speakers that it was some kind of standardized national examination administered by, or at least accepted by the government.

            Also, "culminating" is quite correct in this usage.

            Jamie

            On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Charles Stanford wrote:

            > A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
            > studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as "has completed a
            > course of university studies, culminating in an examination". She didn't
            > like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
            > my thinking was that every university course ends in a "state examination"
            > and so I felt that "state" was redundant in English. You don't have
            > university courses ending in "regional examinations" - they all end with
            > the "state examination" and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
            > too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
            > does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
            > you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium" in any other way than "vykonanim
            > statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
            > assessment. Hope that makes sense.
            >
            > Charlie

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

              > I don't think there is too much wrong with the culminating, it just means
              > "ending in" - just try Googling "course of studies culminating in" - cf.

              Neat idea IMO.

              We were talking about the "state" problem a couple of years ago. This thread may be relevant:

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                As no one seems to have responded to the graduation options question,
                here we go Charlie: No, I don't think you are able to graduate from a
                Czech university unless you pass a statni zkouska. (Not sure about
                'prava v Plzni' and similar schools though.)

                If I was to translate this text, I would simply go for 'gratuated from'
                but admittedly, many Czech clients expect the zkouska thing to appear in
                an English translation they have paid for.

                HTH
                Martin

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                  It doesn't matter what Czechs know about graduating from a Czech university.

                  The text will be in English, so it's important what English speakers know about that, which is nothing.

                  Therefore it is important in English to indicate that the person graduated and passed a state examination, because this indicates to the English-speaking reader that the person's educational achievement conforms to some national standard, which would not necessarily be the case with someone graduating from a university in the English-speaking world.

                  This is vital information and should not be left out.

                  Jamie

                  On Mar 1, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

                  > As no one seems to have responded to the graduation options question,
                  > here we go Charlie: No, I don't think you are able to graduate from a
                  > Czech university unless you pass a statni zkouska. (Not sure about
                  > 'prava v Plzni' and similar schools though.)
                  >
                  > If I was to translate this text, I would simply go for 'gratuated from'
                  > but admittedly, many Czech clients expect the zkouska thing to appear in
                  > an English translation they have paid for.
                  >

                  > HTH
                  > Martin
                  >
                  > Dne 1.3.2012 16:50, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
                  >> A customer has queried my (SK) translation of "ukoncila vysokoskolske
                  >> studium vykonanim statnej skusky" which I translated as ?has completed a
                  >> course of university studies, culminating in an examination?. She didn't
                  >> like my use of "examination" for statnej skusky" - perhaps rightly so - but
                  >> my thinking was that every university course ends in a ?state examination?
                  >> and so I felt that ?state? was redundant in English. You don?t have
                  >> university courses ending in ?regional examinations? ? they all end with
                  >> the ?state examination? and tacking the "state" on to my mind sounded a bit
                  >> too stilted. Perhaps I should have put "final examination" - "examination"
                  >> does look a bit too "throw-away" perhaps.... What I am wondering is whether
                  >> you can "ukoncit vysokoskolske studium? in any other way than "vykonanim
                  >> statnej skusky", i.e. through a dissertation or some sort of ongoing
                  >> assessment. Hope that makes sense.
                  >>
                  >> Charlie

                • Sarka Rubkova
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                    I usually translat it as a "professional proficiency examination" because,
                    together with the thesis it should prove that you are able to work as an
                    professional in a certain area. It usually covers more subjects.

                    Sarka