Re: Re[2]: [Czechlist] Layby- rastplatz - truck stop?

  • Charlie Stanford Translations
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2012
      Thanks to both of you, Matej and Jamie - in the end I thought I would go for something as international as I could and use "when I park up". I don't know if we have those German-type ones in Britain anyway (what the French call an aire don't they... - perhaps not enough space on our little island and we always plonk a service centre in a place like that). I don't know when a German P becomes a Rastplatz or a Tankstelle mit Rastplatz or a Raststaette and I never really know what to do for Canadians - whether to Americanise everything or plod on with "lorries" and "laybys". Sometimes I suppose we just have to pray that the translation only gets glanced over and the customer doesn't speak the other language. I was wrong with "truck stop" anyway - that's for certain. I think we would understand it (truck stop) too as a diner for truck-drivers or something like that but nothing like a Rastplatz.