Re: [Czechlist] Sociological question

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2012
      Matej, a Waldorf school and a Steiner school are the same thing. The Waldorf schools were started by a philosopher of some kind named Rudolf Steiner.

      Funny you should mention the teacher with the young girls on his lap. Once I had to chaperone a school tour of Moravian wineries for children 14 to 18 years old, where they all got outrageously drunk, and no one cared. On the bus ride home, some beautiful young thing decided to sit on my lap for a good deal of the trip. I pointed out to her that there was an empty seat next to me, but she insisted that my lap was the only position from which she could talk to both teachers. The other teacher didn't seem bothered by this, so I just let her sit there until she got tired of it. I thought she was 15, but recently one of the boys from the class told me she was older when she started high school and was likely about 19 when she did that. Anyway, I appeared to be the only one on the bus who had a problem with it. I didn't find it unpleasant, but I found it improper.

      Once the bookkeeper, a proper middle-aged woman, asked me for my personal information so she could see if she needed to revise it for tax purposes. She said, "You're divorced, right?" I said I was single, and she was so surprised that she made sure I understood the difference between the words "svobodny" and "rozvedeny". When she was convinced that I understood the words, she said, in all seriousness, "So, you're single. But at this school, it's not like you don't have a choice!" This woman, like many Czechs I ran into, thought the high school was a good place for a 39-year-old man to shop for a wife. In the US, such a notion would be considered quite perverted, but on the other hand, as exchange students confirmed on their return, an American 18-year-old is approximately equivalent to a Czech 12-year-old.

      Another shock to me was when 15- or 16-year-old girls in my classes had boyfriends who were in their late 20s, and their mothers seemed to approve of it. When I got back home, a Serbian-American woman who had lived similarly in the US explained to me that a 15-year-old and a 27-year-old can get the girl in the same kind of trouble, but only the 27-year-old can assume responsibility for it. It had its logic.