Re: [Czechlist] Sociological question

  • Jakub Skrebsky
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 15, 2012
      I agree with Stephan and add an example from Northern Ireland.

      Catholics here have always had almost 3times higher birth rate than Protestants, but it has nothing to do with religion.
      As "second class" citizens, Catholics would have fewer chances to get a decent job and education.
      Now, when equality is guaranteed, it is the immigrants (mainly form Poland and Lithuania) who represent only about 5% of population but 20% of newborn babies in all hospitals.
      With the generous British social system, they don't need a huge number of children to survive. It might be rather a part of their precisely planned family life - i.e. first move to the UK, get a solid job for the man and state benefits for the woman and when the financial situation has been consolidated, start bearing children.

      In the Republic of Ireland, having 10 children was quite normal until late 70's. There was a short baby boom in early 80's and since then, birth rate has been falling significantly. Now the Celtic Tiger is dead and the rate keeps falling. Seems that the typical excuse "we cannot afford to have children now" is now more true than it was in the Tiger days.

      Jakub