[Czechlist] BUSINESS: escrow

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hi there,

      If I'd like to use an escrow service to get paid as a translator, do you
      know of any good options?

      I only know about Elance.com, which takes part of the amount paid by the
      customer. Not for escrow service separately but for job matching service.

      Yesterday I noticed that Skrill (Moneybookers) provides escrow service.
      I didn't have much time to read about it in detail but I observed it was
      all described about buying and selling merchandise rather than services
      such as translations. Not sure about PayPal.

      Do you know or have positive experience with other possibilities?

    • Jakub Skrebsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
        odesk.com, is similar to elance, i.e. the job is assigned through them.
        I've been paid a couple of times with no problem, apart from the 4 or so days delay.

        and freeelancer.com, yet another one, but I have no personal experience with this one.

        Jakub

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
          Hi Jakub,

          I know oDesk and Freelancer too but the number of people who underbid
          you with a fraction of a resonable rate virtually disqualifies those
          sites for me. However, you might want to suggest to your customer using
          such a site for the escrow service only. Never done that myself...

        • Jakub Skrebsky
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
            no, in those cases, I won the jobs advertised there.

            However, I am just in the middle of negotiation with a customer who approached me directly and intends to use odesk only to track my time and pay me.
            So I think it might be possible to pre-negotiate with the client and bypass the bidding procedure.
            The odesk fee will still be deducted from your earnings, though.