10. jubilejni konference

  • Sabina Králová
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
      They insist on using "jubilejni":) I have used the term "anniversary".
      Thanks to everyone for help.
      Sabina
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
        Since Sabina has already decided on "anniversary" (the right choice, in
        my opinion), I am responding just for clarity's sake:

        jubilejni infers that the conference is celebrating its 'kulaty'
        anniversary (10 years). Thus "10th anniversary conference". Anniversary
        indicates that you are celebrating an important milestone.

        "annual conference" would be a better translation for "10. rocnik
        konference" (with the caveat that Czech likes to say "rocnik", which
        doesn't always mean that the conference took place every year. Whereas
        the English "annual" means that the conference takes place every year.)

        When I translate conferences or festivals, I usually translate "rocnik"
        as "annual" only if I know that the event takes place every year.
        Otherwise I leave out the "annual" ("8th Conference on the Joys of
        Bungee Jumping" or "3rd Festival of Snake Charming"), or write something
        like "the 3rd installment of the International Festival of Kite Flying."

        Cheers!

        On 2/2/2012 12:58 PM, Melvyn wrote:

        > If they are not commemorating anything grand I reckon you can get away
        > with "annual conference".
        >
        > N'est-ce pas?
        >
        > M.

        > James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I would also use "anniversary" instead of "jubilee".
        > >
        > > Jamie
        > >
        > > On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Stephan von Pohl wrote:
        > >
        > > > I would avoid "jubilee" and go for "10th anniversary conference".

      • Petr
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2012
          Dodatecne bych si dovolil poznamenat, ze "10. rocník konference" se v cestine nepouziva. Pouzivame "vyrocni", a to hlavne u schuzi; je to udalost, ktera se kona jednou za rok, napriklad se ctenim rocni zpravy a pripadne s volbou vyboru.
          Pouziva se "10. rocnik" nejake akce, napriklad "souteze mladych talentu", "festivalu Prazske jaro" apod., ale nikdy ne konference.
          Petr Adamek