Re: [Czechlist] Power Point

  • Hana Jarolímová
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2012
      Dekuji moc, Honzo.
    • Sabina Kralova
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
        Dobry den,

        mohl byste mi prosim nekdo poradit, zda pro termin "10. jubilejni
        konference" mohu pouzit vyraz 10th jubilee conference? Nasla jsem to na webu
        pomerne v hojnych vysktech, ale nejak se mi to nezda.)
        Diky moc za odpoved.
        Sabina

      • Stephan von Pohl
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
          I would avoid "jubilee" and go for "10th anniversary conference".

          On 2/2/2012 11:13 AM, Sabina Kralova wrote:

          > Dobry den,
          >
          > mohl byste mi prosim nekdo poradit, zda pro termin "10. jubilejni
          > konference" mohu pouzit vyraz 10th jubilee conference? Nasla jsem to
          > na webu
          > pomerne v hojnych vysktech, ale nejak se mi to nezda.)
          > Diky moc za odpoved.
          > Sabina

        • Sabina Králová
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
            Thanks!
            Sabina

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
              I would also use "anniversary" instead of "jubilee".

              Jamie

              On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Stephan von Pohl wrote:

              > I would avoid "jubilee" and go for "10th anniversary conference".
              >
              > On 2/2/2012 11:13 AM, Sabina Kralova wrote:
              >>
              >> Dobry den,
              >>
              >> mohl byste mi prosim nekdo poradit, zda pro termin "10. jubilejni
              >> konference" mohu pouzit vyraz 10th jubilee conference? Nasla jsem to
              >> na webu
              >> pomerne v hojnych vysktech, ale nejak se mi to nezda.)
              >> Diky moc za odpoved.
              >> Sabina

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
                If they are not commemorating anything grand I reckon you can get away with "annual conference".

                N'est-ce pas?

                > I would also use "anniversary" instead of "jubilee".
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Stephan von Pohl wrote:
                >
                > > I would avoid "jubilee" and go for "10th anniversary conference".
                > >
                > > On 2/2/2012 11:13 AM, Sabina Kralova wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Dobry den,
                > >>
                > >> mohl byste mi prosim nekdo poradit, zda pro termin "10. jubilejni
                > >> konference" mohu pouzit vyraz 10th jubilee conference? Nasla jsem to
                > >> na webu
                > >> pomerne v hojnych vysktech, ale nejak se mi to nezda.)
                > >> Diky moc za odpoved.
                > >> Sabina

              • Sabina Králová
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
                  They insist on using "jubilejni":) I have used the term "anniversary".
                  Thanks to everyone for help.
                  Sabina
                  If they are not commemorating anything grand I reckon you can get away
                  with "annual conference".

                  N'est-ce pas?

                  > I would also use "anniversary" instead of "jubilee".
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Stephan von Pohl wrote:
                  >
                  > > I would avoid "jubilee" and go for "10th anniversary conference".
                  > >
                  > > On 2/2/2012 11:13 AM, Sabina Kralova wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Dobry den,
                  > >>
                  > >> mohl byste mi prosim nekdo poradit, zda pro termin "10. jubilejni
                  > >> konference" mohu pouzit vyraz 10th jubilee conference? Nasla jsem to
                  > >> na webu
                  > >> pomerne v hojnych vysktech, ale nejak se mi to nezda.)
                  > >> Diky moc za odpoved.
                  > >> Sabina

                • Stephan von Pohl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Since Sabina has already decided on "anniversary" (the right choice, in
                    my opinion), I am responding just for clarity's sake:

                    jubilejni infers that the conference is celebrating its 'kulaty'
                    anniversary (10 years). Thus "10th anniversary conference". Anniversary
                    indicates that you are celebrating an important milestone.

                    "annual conference" would be a better translation for "10. rocnik
                    konference" (with the caveat that Czech likes to say "rocnik", which
                    doesn't always mean that the conference took place every year. Whereas
                    the English "annual" means that the conference takes place every year.)

                    When I translate conferences or festivals, I usually translate "rocnik"
                    as "annual" only if I know that the event takes place every year.
                    Otherwise I leave out the "annual" ("8th Conference on the Joys of
                    Bungee Jumping" or "3rd Festival of Snake Charming"), or write something
                    like "the 3rd installment of the International Festival of Kite Flying."

                    Cheers!

                    On 2/2/2012 12:58 PM, Melvyn wrote:

                    > If they are not commemorating anything grand I reckon you can get away
                    > with "annual conference".
                    >
                    > N'est-ce pas?
                    >
                    > M.

                    > James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I would also use "anniversary" instead of "jubilee".
                    > >
                    > > Jamie
                    > >
                    > > On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Stephan von Pohl wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I would avoid "jubilee" and go for "10th anniversary conference".

                  • Petr
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2012
                      Dodatecne bych si dovolil poznamenat, ze "10. rocník konference" se v cestine nepouziva. Pouzivame "vyrocni", a to hlavne u schuzi; je to udalost, ktera se kona jednou za rok, napriklad se ctenim rocni zpravy a pripadne s volbou vyboru.
                      Pouziva se "10. rocnik" nejake akce, napriklad "souteze mladych talentu", "festivalu Prazske jaro" apod., ale nikdy ne konference.
                      Petr Adamek