[Czechlist] "Baterie" in the bathroom

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
      I've got a text here that talks about "baterie" as a form of bathroom equipment.

      I sense this is not a battery in the typical electrical sense, or is it?

      Any advice?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
        That's the block of both hot water and cold water faucets.

        http://www.kvalitni-vodovodni-baterie.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/vanova-vodovodni-baterie.jpg

        hth
        Martin

        Dne 3.1.2012 16:28, James Kirchner napsal(a):
        > I've got a text here that talks about "baterie" as a form of bathroom
        > equipment.
        >
        > I sense this is not a battery in the typical electrical sense, or is it?
        >
        > Any advice?
        >
        > Jamie

      • Ing. Jiří Klíma
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
          No, nothing to do with an electrical device. It is a hot and cold water
          "basin mixer", "mixing tap".

          Jirka

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
            Aha! It's basically a Delta faucet (invented in my home town by Alex Manoogian who became fabulously rich and financed libraries and university buildings which now bear his name).

            Now I have to figure out what the generic term is for a Delta faucet.

            Thanks very much.

            Jamie

            On Jan 3, 2012, at 10:34 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

            > That's the block of both hot water and cold water faucets.
            >
            > http://www.kvalitni-vodovodni-baterie.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/vanova-vodovodni-baterie.jpg
            >
            > hth
            > Martin
            >
            > Dne 3.1.2012 16:28, James Kirchner napsal(a):
            >> I've got a text here that talks about "baterie" as a form of bathroom
            >> equipment.
            >>
            >> I sense this is not a battery in the typical electrical sense, or is it?
            >>
            >> Any advice?
            >>
            >> Jamie

          • Stephan von Pohl
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
              Jamie, it usually simply means the "tap/faucet" (the entire silver
              fitting with the hot and cold knobs and the spigot).

              Stephan

              On 1/3/2012 4:34 PM, Martin Janda wrote:
              > That's the block of both hot water and cold water faucets.
              >
              > http://www.kvalitni-vodovodni-baterie.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/vanova-vodovodni-baterie.jpg
              >
              > hth
              > Martin
              >
              > Dne 3.1.2012 16:28, James Kirchner napsal(a):
              > > I've got a text here that talks about "baterie" as a form of bathroom
              > > equipment.
              > >
              > > I sense this is not a battery in the typical electrical sense, or is it?
              > >
              > > Any advice?
              > >
              > > Jamie

            • Jan Culka
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
                "Battery" or "baterie" is a general term for something multiplied, e.g. battery of electrical elements, battery of cannons, battery of faucets (well, they are only 2).
                Honza

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
                  Jamie, it's any faucet. Even one with two separate knobs for hot and cold.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
                    This makes my life much easier. Thanks.

                    Thanks to Stephan, Martin, Honza and Jirka. This was a big help.

                    Jamie

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
                      Thanks, Stephan.

                      Weird expression. :-)