[Czechlist] "Torch song"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2011
      This is not for a job, but I was wondering if there's a spisovny Czech term for a "torch song".

      It's evidently called a "Torch Song" in German, and Russian, according to Wikipedia, calls it a "c?????????????? ???????? ?????", which, of course, doesn't come close enough to the concept.

    • Stephan von Pohl
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2011
        I think it's what the Czechs refer to as "šanson".

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          I got busy and didn't thank you for this, Stephan. Thank you.

          I guess "sanson" is as close as we can get, although I always understood that word as meaning "a song sung in the French style of Edith Piaf".

          There's probably no one-on-one equivalent from US to Czech culture here, and this word is a good solution.

          Jamie