Re: [Czechlist] Sentence I simply do not understand (2)

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
      Yes. Riverside is a provider of social housing, i.e. it owns and manages
      what used to be council-owned housing. It's a housing association that
      now operates nationwide, although based in Liverpool.
      "Found in favour of" is "rozhodl ve prospěch".

      On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 08:04 +0100, Charlie Stanford Translations wrote:

      > A Recorder is basically just a judge Kostas. In the lawsuit between XY
      > and Riverside, the judge has found (ruled/decided/adjudicated) in
      > favour of Riverside (Riverside won the case), so XY has to leave his
      > house.

    • Kostas
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
        Thanks to both of you. Just one more thing to make sure: "Pratt" is the judge's last name - right?

        K.

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
          Yes - bit of an unfortunate surname for a judge because a "prat" is an "idiot".

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
            "Prat" can also mean "prdel", hence the term "prat fall" for the falls actors take in slapstick comedies (grotesky).

            My parents had a story, probably originating in the 1920s or '30s, about my father's friend asking if some girl they knew was dating anyone. My father said, "She's going with a Harry Pratt," to which his friend replied, "I don't want you to describe the guy; just tell me his name!"

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
              Thanks for this Charlie. Michigan has something called Recorder's Court, and I've always wondered what "recorder" meant when it was instituted. It's presided over by a judge.

              Of course, we also have counties but no counts.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                We don't have counts either weirdly - they're a European thing... Earls and countesses in Britain.