Sentence I simply do not understand (2)

  • Kostas
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 7 7:24 PM
      XY, 49, was ordered to leave his home in Main Street after Recorder Pratt QC found in favour of Riverside at Liverpool County Court.

      I do not understand the second part of the sentence: after Recorder....
      Would you please reword it for me?

      Too much UK realia specific for me:-)

      I put XY instead of the name.

      Thank you,

      K.
    • Charlie Stanford Translations
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 7 11:04 PM
        A Recorder is basically just a judge Kostas. In the lawsuit between XY and Riverside, the judge has found (ruled/decided/adjudicated) in favour of Riverside (Riverside won the case), so XY has to leave his house.

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 8 12:20 AM
          Yes. Riverside is a provider of social housing, i.e. it owns and manages
          what used to be council-owned housing. It's a housing association that
          now operates nationwide, although based in Liverpool.
          "Found in favour of" is "rozhodl ve prospěch".

          On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 08:04 +0100, Charlie Stanford Translations wrote:

          > A Recorder is basically just a judge Kostas. In the lawsuit between XY
          > and Riverside, the judge has found (ruled/decided/adjudicated) in
          > favour of Riverside (Riverside won the case), so XY has to leave his
          > house.

        • Kostas
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 8 1:36 AM
            Thanks to both of you. Just one more thing to make sure: "Pratt" is the judge's last name - right?

            K.

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 8 1:57 AM
              Yes - bit of an unfortunate surname for a judge because a "prat" is an "idiot".

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 8 3:26 AM
                "Prat" can also mean "prdel", hence the term "prat fall" for the falls actors take in slapstick comedies (grotesky).

                My parents had a story, probably originating in the 1920s or '30s, about my father's friend asking if some girl they knew was dating anyone. My father said, "She's going with a Harry Pratt," to which his friend replied, "I don't want you to describe the guy; just tell me his name!"

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 8 3:29 AM
                  Thanks for this Charlie. Michigan has something called Recorder's Court, and I've always wondered what "recorder" meant when it was instituted. It's presided over by a judge.

                  Of course, we also have counties but no counts.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 8 3:57 AM
                    We don't have counts either weirdly - they're a European thing... Earls and countesses in Britain.