Re: [Czechlist] "garage" meaning

  • Charlie Stanford Translations
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
      Maybe Valerie and Jamie are right but to me a "London garage" immediately makes me think of an opravna more than a garaz - I suppose it depends on the type of firm that got set up.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
        Suppose it could be either. I just don't really think of houses in London having garages - maybe in the suburbs, but I am a country bumpkin so know nothing. I'd just ring up the firm if I were you.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
          Garage can mean opravna or garaz. My guess is that they founded the company in a "garaz", just as Apple Computer was also founded in a "garaz".

          Jamie

          On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Please could someone advise if "garage" in English can also refer to a work shop (dilna)?
          >
          > "They founded the ABC company in a London garage."
          >
          > - Does this really mean a garage (garaz) where one keeps a car, or eventually where cars are serviced (opravna), or can it have wider meaning, too (including "dilna")?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Tomas

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
            Cesky se temto firmam normalne rika "garazova firma"

            Garage can mean opravna or garaz. My guess is that they founded the company in a "garaz", just as Apple Computer was also founded in a "garaz".

            Jamie

            On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Please could someone advise if "garage" in English can also refer to a work shop (dilna)?
            >
            > "They founded the ABC company in a London garage."
            >
            > - Does this really mean a garage (garaz) where one keeps a car, or eventually where cars are serviced (opravna), or can it have wider meaning, too (including "dilna")?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Tomas

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
              This seems to be garage in the garaz sense - a building in which a car
              is kept. A garage is often used as a dilna as well, though (as in the
              CR). Basically, the business started off in someone's home, but in the
              garage as opposed to around the kitchen table.

              On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 14:59 +0000, Tomas Mosler wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Please could someone advise if "garage" in English can also refer to a
              > work shop (dilna)?
              >
              > "They founded the ABC company in a London garage."
              >
              > - Does this really mean a garage (garaz) where one keeps a car, or
              > eventually where cars are serviced (opravna), or can it have wider
              > meaning, too (including "dilna")?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Tomas

            • Tomas Mosler