Re: [Czechlist] "garage" meaning

  • Charlie Stanford Translations
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
      Maybe Valerie and Jamie are right but to me a "London garage" immediately makes me think of an opravna more than a garaz - I suppose it depends on the type of firm that got set up.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
        Suppose it could be either. I just don't really think of houses in London having garages - maybe in the suburbs, but I am a country bumpkin so know nothing. I'd just ring up the firm if I were you.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
            Garage can mean opravna or garaz. My guess is that they founded the company in a "garaz", just as Apple Computer was also founded in a "garaz".

            Jamie

            On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Please could someone advise if "garage" in English can also refer to a work shop (dilna)?
            >
            > "They founded the ABC company in a London garage."
            >
            > - Does this really mean a garage (garaz) where one keeps a car, or eventually where cars are serviced (opravna), or can it have wider meaning, too (including "dilna")?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Tomas

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
              Cesky se temto firmam normalne rika "garazova firma"

              Garage can mean opravna or garaz. My guess is that they founded the company in a "garaz", just as Apple Computer was also founded in a "garaz".

              Jamie

              On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Please could someone advise if "garage" in English can also refer to a work shop (dilna)?
              >
              > "They founded the ABC company in a London garage."
              >
              > - Does this really mean a garage (garaz) where one keeps a car, or eventually where cars are serviced (opravna), or can it have wider meaning, too (including "dilna")?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Tomas

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
                This seems to be garage in the garaz sense - a building in which a car
                is kept. A garage is often used as a dilna as well, though (as in the
                CR). Basically, the business started off in someone's home, but in the
                garage as opposed to around the kitchen table.

                On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 14:59 +0000, Tomas Mosler wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Please could someone advise if "garage" in English can also refer to a
                > work shop (dilna)?
                >
                > "They founded the ABC company in a London garage."
                >
                > - Does this really mean a garage (garaz) where one keeps a car, or
                > eventually where cars are serviced (opravna), or can it have wider
                > meaning, too (including "dilna")?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Tomas

              • Tomas Mosler