Re: [Czechlist] Sentence I simply do not understand

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
      A v cem je problem?

      Kompost zacnete budovat ukladanim podzimniho (opadaneho) listi. Nebudete
      mit tak plne popelnice a jeste usetrite cestu do zahradkarskych potreb
      (zrejme pro pudu nebo hnojivo)

      HTH
      Martin

      Dne 6.12.2011 23:44, Kostas napsal(a):
      > Sentence:
      > Start a compost heap with those autumn leaves and you'll slim your bin
      > and save trips to the garden centre.
      >
      > Context: hints what tenants should do to prepare for winter
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > K.

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
        Ja myslim, ze z hromady listi zadny kompost nevznikne.

        J.

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
          I ty neverici Tomasi. Tak si to precti sam.
          http://za-hrada.blogspot.com/2006/07/kompost.html

          Dne 7.12.2011 0:28, Pilucha, Jiri napsal(a):

          > Ja myslim, ze z hromady listi zadny kompost nevznikne.
          >
          > J.

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
            Tak to teda cumim. To je uzasne zarizeni.

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
              I have never heard of an (American) city where people put leaves into garbage cans. Either they compost them in their yards, or they put them out by the curb for the city to collect with a big "elephant trunk", and they transport them somewhere for composting.

              Jamie

              On Dec 6, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

              > A v cem je problem?
              >
              > Kompost zacnete budovat ukladanim podzimniho (opadaneho) listi. Nebudete
              > mit tak plne popelnice a jeste usetrite cestu do zahradkarskych potreb
              > (zrejme pro pudu nebo hnojivo)
              >
              > HTH
              > Martin
              >

              > Dne 6.12.2011 23:44, Kostas napsal(a):
              >> Sentence:
              >> Start a compost heap with those autumn leaves and you'll slim your bin
              >> and save trips to the garden centre.
              >>
              >> Context: hints what tenants should do to prepare for winter
              >>
              >> Thank you,
              >>
              >> K.

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
                Yes, in my old borough of Lambeth you'd apparently get fined for putting
                them in the ordinary dustbin. You put garden waste out in green bags and
                the council empty them and take it away.

                In some other places in the UK they have special bins for garden waste,
                though, so "slim your bin" would refer to that.

                I've been meaning to get one of those small composters for the balcony -
                we have a balcony that faces nothing but an internal light well, so may
                as well do something useful with it.

                Re. meaning of the sentence - that's what I understand, too, but I
                couldn't work out at first what the trips to the garden centre were for.

                Valerie

                On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 20:45 -0500, James Kirchner wrote:

                > I have never heard of an (American) city where people put leaves into
                > garbage cans. Either they compost them in their yards, or they put
                > them out by the curb for the city to collect with a big "elephant
                > trunk", and they transport them somewhere for composting.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Dec 6, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Martin Janda wrote:
                >
                > > A v cem je problem?
                > >
                > > Kompost zacnete budovat ukladanim podzimniho (opadaneho) listi.
                > Nebudete
                > > mit tak plne popelnice a jeste usetrite cestu do zahradkarskych
                > potreb
                > > (zrejme pro pudu nebo hnojivo)
                > >
                > > HTH
                > > Martin
                > >

                > > Dne 6.12.2011 23:44, Kostas napsal(a):
                > >> Sentence:
                > >> Start a compost heap with those autumn leaves and you'll slim your
                > bin
                > >> and save trips to the garden centre.
                > >>
                > >> Context: hints what tenants should do to prepare for winter
                > >>
                > >> Thank you,
                > >>
                > >> K.

              • Kostas
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                  XY, 49, was ordered to leave his home in Main Street after Recorder Pratt QC found in favour of Riverside at Liverpool County Court.

                  I do not understand the second part of the sentence: after Recorder....
                  Would you please reword it for me?

                  Too much UK realia specific for me:-)

                  I put XY instead of the name.

                  Thank you,

                  K.
                • Charlie Stanford Translations
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                    A Recorder is basically just a judge Kostas. In the lawsuit between XY and Riverside, the judge has found (ruled/decided/adjudicated) in favour of Riverside (Riverside won the case), so XY has to leave his house.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                      Yes. Riverside is a provider of social housing, i.e. it owns and manages
                      what used to be council-owned housing. It's a housing association that
                      now operates nationwide, although based in Liverpool.
                      "Found in favour of" is "rozhodl ve prospěch".

                      On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 08:04 +0100, Charlie Stanford Translations wrote:

                      > A Recorder is basically just a judge Kostas. In the lawsuit between XY
                      > and Riverside, the judge has found (ruled/decided/adjudicated) in
                      > favour of Riverside (Riverside won the case), so XY has to leave his
                      > house.

                    • Kostas
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                        Thanks to both of you. Just one more thing to make sure: "Pratt" is the judge's last name - right?

                        K.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                          Yes - bit of an unfortunate surname for a judge because a "prat" is an "idiot".

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                            "Prat" can also mean "prdel", hence the term "prat fall" for the falls actors take in slapstick comedies (grotesky).

                            My parents had a story, probably originating in the 1920s or '30s, about my father's friend asking if some girl they knew was dating anyone. My father said, "She's going with a Harry Pratt," to which his friend replied, "I don't want you to describe the guy; just tell me his name!"

                            Jamie

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                              Thanks for this Charlie. Michigan has something called Recorder's Court, and I've always wondered what "recorder" meant when it was instituted. It's presided over by a judge.

                              Of course, we also have counties but no counts.

                              Jamie

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                                We don't have counts either weirdly - they're a European thing... Earls and countesses in Britain.