Re[2]: [Czechlist] bezpecnostni sluzba vs. ostraha

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2011
      In most shopping mall construction documents I've ever dealt with,
      ostraha was doing both of those things (i.e. watching and dealing,
      alth. not always both at the same time..)

      It's a bit unusual to make a distinction between ostraha and
      bezpecnostni sluzba..

      Bezpecnostni sluzba is the generic name for a company providing ostraha
      - could that work for your context?

      If it's a case of X vs. Y, then perhaps what others suggested (one
      against burglars and other against customers with long fingers), but
      IMHO there's no linguistic or practical support for this...

      Actually, looking at your sentence, it sounds like the situation is as
      follows..

      The mall is leased to individual shop operators, each of them deals
      with their own security and/or pays into the kitty to use the common
      security (that's the ostraha, CCTV and black-clad boys in one) and
      there's common spaces (the 'mall' itself, the part you walk down past
      individual shops).. the security in this area is either provided by the
      same ostraha (and presumably paid for by all shop owners), or by a
      separate bezpecnostni sluzba - i.e. a separate company is hired to
      provide those bored people in ill-fitting clothes to shuffle up and
      down the common areas..

      The wording is really weird (that tends to be the case with this type
      of documents), but I'm almost certain something like this was intended