Re: [Czechlist] fat fabric

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
      I know that "fat quarters" is the term used by quilters etc. to refer to
      a unit of fabric half a metre long and half the width of the roll (so
      four quarters make up a metre of fabric). I don't know whether this is
      what's being referred to here - does it work in the context? It sounds
      as if it it wasn't written by an English NS, so they may have got the
      terminology wrong.

      Valerie

      On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 08:08 +0100, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

      > Je tu nekdo, kdo mi muze rict, co je "fat fabric" a pripadne preklad
      > do
      > cestiny?
      >
      > Kontext: We created our pillows with colors of the fat fabric.
      >
      > sarka

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
        aha, so they didn't get the terminology wrong!

        On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 09:43 +0000, Liz Spacilova wrote:

        > Hi Sarka,
        >
        > It comes from quilting jargon -- quilters use "fat quarters" of
        > fabric, which is one yard of fabric that has been cut into fourths by
        > cutting once lengthwise and once crosswise to form almost perfect
        > squares (instead of strips - like this
        > http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbystepquilting/ss/fat_quarters.htm).
        >
        > So fat fabric = fabric that has been cut for quilting. Here's a
        > picture:
        > http://www.etsy.com/listing/66294998/maroon-quart-fat-fabric-bundle
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Liz
        >
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <rubkova@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Je tu nekdo, kdo mi muze rict, co je "fat fabric" a pripadne preklad
        > do
        > > cestiny?
        > >
        > > Kontext: We created our pillows with colors of the fat fabric.
        > >
        > > sarka

      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
          It comes from Holland