Re: fat fabric

  • Liz Spacilova
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hi Sarka,

      It comes from quilting jargon -- quilters use "fat quarters" of fabric, which is one yard of fabric that has been cut into fourths by cutting once lengthwise and once crosswise to form almost perfect squares (instead of strips - like this http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbystepquilting/ss/fat_quarters.htm).

      So fat fabric = fabric that has been cut for quilting. Here's a picture:
      http://www.etsy.com/listing/66294998/maroon-quart-fat-fabric-bundle

      Cheers

      Liz

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <rubkova@...> wrote:

      > Je tu nekdo, kdo mi muze rict, co je "fat fabric" a pripadne preklad do
      > cestiny?
      >
      > Kontext: We created our pillows with colors of the fat fabric.
      >
      > sarka

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
        I know that "fat quarters" is the term used by quilters etc. to refer to
        a unit of fabric half a metre long and half the width of the roll (so
        four quarters make up a metre of fabric). I don't know whether this is
        what's being referred to here - does it work in the context? It sounds
        as if it it wasn't written by an English NS, so they may have got the
        terminology wrong.

        Valerie

        On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 08:08 +0100, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

        > Je tu nekdo, kdo mi muze rict, co je "fat fabric" a pripadne preklad
        > do
        > cestiny?
        >
        > Kontext: We created our pillows with colors of the fat fabric.
        >
        > sarka

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
          aha, so they didn't get the terminology wrong!

          On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 09:43 +0000, Liz Spacilova wrote:

          > Hi Sarka,
          >
          > It comes from quilting jargon -- quilters use "fat quarters" of
          > fabric, which is one yard of fabric that has been cut into fourths by
          > cutting once lengthwise and once crosswise to form almost perfect
          > squares (instead of strips - like this
          > http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbystepquilting/ss/fat_quarters.htm).
          >
          > So fat fabric = fabric that has been cut for quilting. Here's a
          > picture:
          > http://www.etsy.com/listing/66294998/maroon-quart-fat-fabric-bundle
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Liz
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <rubkova@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Je tu nekdo, kdo mi muze rict, co je "fat fabric" a pripadne preklad
          > do
          > > cestiny?
          > >
          > > Kontext: We created our pillows with colors of the fat fabric.
          > >
          > > sarka

        • Sarka Rubkova
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
            It comes from Holland