Unclear (to me) sentence

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
      Can anyone help me with this sentence?

      "Spolecnost XYZ & Co. KG není povinna realizovat proti hlavnímu viníkovi soudní nebo zhodnocovat poskytnutou jistinu."

      My problem is the use of the adjective "soudní" without a noun. I can't tell whether "soudní" is a term on its own or if it's meant to apply to "jistinu".

      It seems to me that when I lived in the CSFR and CFR I heard the word "soudní" used on its own to refer to some fee or fine or something, but I can't remember what it meant.

      I'd be grateful for any opinions.

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hi Jamie,

        The only interpretation I see is that "soudni" is an attributive of
        "jistina". The word order reminds of English; I consider this sloppy
        Czech. The phrase "nebo zhodnocovat poskytnutou" should be at least
        delimited with commas but it wouldn't be okay that way either. Also,
        "realizovat jistinu" sounds like poor style, however common in
        contemporary buerocratic vocabulary.

        Frankly, I've never heard of "soudni jistina" before. From what I see on
        the web, it appears to be some sort of a guarantee depesit imposed by a
        court of justice on a transaction while the money ends up in the
        government's hands unless all conditions specified have been met.
        Example: http://e-deska.cz/oslnovice/big/52846.pdf...

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
          Thanks, Jirka.

          This is one of the worst texts I've ever translated.

          Jamie