Re: volna grafika

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2011
      We often see "creative" used in contrast with "applied" arts. Could that be pressed into service here? Of course, applied arts are also creative, but that does not seem to worry the many who use the two contrasting terms in course titles, departmental names etc. Just a thought. Not an expert.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "alexisagibson" <alexisagibson@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for the best way to express "volna grafika" in English, as in: "venuje se volne i uzite grafice". I understand that this is meant to emphasize the distinction between graphic design as applied art vs. that not done for "next use", but I'm not convinced I've yet found the best way to express it in English. I don't think that "fine and applied graphic design" conveys the intent. I'm almost inclined to use the word "free", as its closer to said intent. Would any of you experienced translators have a better suggestion?

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
        Many defintions speak of "fine art" as opposed to "applied art",
        e.g.

        fine art: art produced chiefly for its aesthetic value, as opposed to applied art
        (Collins English Dictionary)

        fine art: Art produced or intended primarily for beauty rather than utility.
        (The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language)

        fine art: Fine art is any art created for its own sake, as opposed to commercial artwork.
        (Farlex Trivia Dictionary)

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, "alexisagibson" <alexisagibson@...<mailto:alexisagibson@...>> wrote:

        > I'm looking for the best way to express "volna grafika" in English, as in: "venuje se volne i uzite grafice". I understand that this is meant to emphasize the distinction between graphic design as applied art vs. that not done for "next use", but I'm not convinced I've yet found the best way to express it in English. I don't think that "fine and applied graphic design" conveys the intent. I'm almost inclined to use the word "free", as its closer to said intent. Would any of you experienced translators have a better suggestion?

      • Liz Spacilova
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
          Hi,

          I always understood "volna tvorba" was the work an artist did "independently", work that was not commissioned or is not made for a specific (commercial) purpose.

          Would commercial & non-commercial graphic design work in your case?

          Liz