"vrzga"

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
      Can anyone tell me what "vrzga" means in the following quote?

      "obcas to vrzga pri podpore."

      Is it a word or a typo?

      Thanks for any help.

      Jamie
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
        it is Slovak word for "vrzání" = scrape, squeek, clitter, creak. etc.
        Honza

        In this case: Sometimes the support is not quite smooth.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
          Skr'i'pe. The support is not always as great as it should be.

          HTH
          Martin

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
            Or as we would say, "Sometimes support is creaky."

            Thanks, Honza!

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
              Never heard the word despite coming from Moravia (where by the sound of
              it it comes from too, or is it Slovakia?).. but sounds like some sort
              of variation on vrzat: screech/grind/creak
              So it would mean something like "The support can be problematic at
              times/doesn't always work 100%"

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
                We would literally say something just like what the person wrote in Czech, that the service is creaky or rickety. It's slangy, but so was the original.

                Thanks to everybody.

                Jamie