Re: Las'sko -> English

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18 3:09 PM
      >I believe there was a discussion on LANTRA a couple of years back about
      >"Valassko" and
      >the confusion with Wallachia in Roumania. I hear the name comes from an old
      >Germanic word meaning "strangers" and that Wales in the UK has the same
      >derivation.

      So do both Galicias (in Spain and Poland), supposedly. But no one has
      ever been able to tell me whether there is any connection between the
      names Moldau (=Vltava) and the former Soviet republic of
      Moldova/Moldavia. (I won't get into Sorbs and Serbs today....)

      Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20 3:54 AM
        > From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

        > There is a nice biography of Leos Janacek by Jaroslav Vogel with a very
        > competent-looking
        > translation into English by Geraldine Thomsen-Muchova. I quote from page
        95
        > of the Academia
        > 1997 edition:

        Very useful! Many thanks.

        Jirka Bolech
        Liberec, CR
      • Melvyn Clarke
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20 4:12 PM
          Michael wrote:

          >But no one has ever been able to tell me whether there is any connection
          >between the
          names Moldau (=Vltava) and the former Soviet republic of
          Moldova/Moldavia.

          There is a neat if not entirely convincing explanation (in French) at

          http://roumanie.com/magazine/economie/no11/moldavie.htm

          >(I won't get into Sorbs and Serbs today....)

          Just as well :)

          Melvyn