dopravni najezd

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2011
      Can someone confirm that "dopravni najezd" on a highway is an entrance ramp? Or not?

      And what do you call an entrance ramp in the UK?

      Thanks for any help.

      Jamie
    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2011
        I think the Brits call it a slip road.

        In New England we call it an on ramp.

        Or in Boston, "you missed it".

        - Liz

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2011
          Thanks, Liz. We also call it an on ramp in Michigan, as well as an entrance ramp and an access ramp.

          I think I'm going to go with "entrance ramp", because the words make it obvious what it means, so foreign and non-British speakers of English would have less trouble understanding it.

          "Slip road" seems just too opaque and too local an expression. When I saw it in the CZ-EN dictionary it sounded to me like something for drainage.

          Jamie