RE: [Czechlist] Quote or translate?

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2011
      If there's no chance to find out what the translation will be used for I would probably decide to cover my *ss and do #3. Normally I desperately try to avoid footnotes but this is too big a risk, I think.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2011
        Thanks, Jiri.

        JK

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2011
          I think I understand this sentence, but I want to make sure:

          "Vtedy dvadsatdvaročnému mladíkovi zabehnuté tituly z otcovho portfólia nevonali."

          Does this literally mean that running the titles (in this case newspapers) in his father's portfolio didn't "smell good" to him (i.e., appeal to him)?

          The confusing thing to me is the word "zabehnute", which just means "run", but I feel as if it's short for "dobre zabehnute", i.e., "well-run". This is about how Rupert Murdoch started taking over failing newspapers early in his career.

          Is my guess accurate, or is there something I'm missing?

          Thanks.

          Jamie
        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2011
            I would understand zabehnute as well-established.
            I don’t have enough feel for Slovakian as to rule out other possibilities, though. In fact… on second thought – how were they well established if they were failing????? This leads me to the following speculation. As an isolated word ‘zabehnuty’ could also be ‘stray’; stylistically it would not sound correct (in the Slovak sentence) to use it for a paper, but if it refers to the failing ones, it would make some sense, providing that the author is a poor stylist. Perhaps it might be something like leftover papers from the portfolio... But this is too far fetched, I think. Forget all I’ve said. My take of the wording is “well established”.
            “…did not appeal to him”, right. Maybe a bit stronger. Wouldn’t touch them (but in the end he would, wouldn’t he!!!) No, this would be too strong anyway. Wasn’t crazy about them. “Ohrnovat nos” is close, if it helps.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2011
              It appears from the story that his father's newspapers were well-run and that those weren't enough of a challenge for him, so he started buying up failing papers and turning them around. So I guess they didn't appeal to him in that way.

              Thanks for your help. It was useful.

              Jamie