Re: Las'sko -> English

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2000
      Jirka wrote:

      >I have the name "Las'sko" in a text to be translated into English. While I
      >have an idea it's an area in Moravia where the composer Leos' Janac'ek was
      >born, I don't know exactly where it is or if there is a standardized
      >translation into English. It sounds to me like shortened "Valas'sko",
      >actually. Any suggestions anyone?

      Ciao,

      There is a nice biography of Leos Janacek by Jaroslav Vogel with a very
      competent-looking
      translation into English by Geraldine Thomsen-Muchova. I quote from page 95
      of the Academia
      1997 edition:

      "The LACHIAN DANCES were the most important fruits of Janacek's first
      pilgrimage in
      search of folk songs. They were not originally intended to be a set of six
      dances as we know
      them today, but were composed separately and were called VALACHIAN DANCES.
      Janacek at first apparently thought the Hukvaldy district (Lachia) to be a
      part of the
      mountainous Valachia to the south of it."

      In the Catalogue or Works at the back of the book I find:
      "1889-1890 LASSKE TANCE pro orchestr (Lachian Dances for full orchestra)"

      So it seems even Janacek, who is so often associated with this place,
      actually got it mixed up. Anybody know any more about the area?

      You'll also get a few hits for "Lachia" on the search engines e.g. the Czech
      Music Centre at:

      http://www.vol.cz/SDMUSIC/CZMIC/comp/matej.htm

      I believe there was a discussion on LANTRA a couple of years back about
      "Valassko" and
      the confusion with Wallachia in Roumania. I hear the name comes from an old
      Germanic word meaning "strangers" and that Wales in the UK has the same
      derivation.

      Have a pleasant weekend.

      Melvyn

    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2000
        >I believe there was a discussion on LANTRA a couple of years back about
        >"Valassko" and
        >the confusion with Wallachia in Roumania. I hear the name comes from an old
        >Germanic word meaning "strangers" and that Wales in the UK has the same
        >derivation.

        So do both Galicias (in Spain and Poland), supposedly. But no one has
        ever been able to tell me whether there is any connection between the
        names Moldau (=Vltava) and the former Soviet republic of
        Moldova/Moldavia. (I won't get into Sorbs and Serbs today....)

        Michael
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2000
          > From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

          > There is a nice biography of Leos Janacek by Jaroslav Vogel with a very
          > competent-looking
          > translation into English by Geraldine Thomsen-Muchova. I quote from page
          95
          > of the Academia
          > 1997 edition:

          Very useful! Many thanks.

          Jirka Bolech
          Liberec, CR
        • Melvyn Clarke
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2000
            Michael wrote:

            >But no one has ever been able to tell me whether there is any connection
            >between the
            names Moldau (=Vltava) and the former Soviet republic of
            Moldova/Moldavia.

            There is a neat if not entirely convincing explanation (in French) at

            http://roumanie.com/magazine/economie/no11/moldavie.htm

            >(I won't get into Sorbs and Serbs today....)

            Just as well :)

            Melvyn