Re: Term: podnikání

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, sarka.rucka@p... wrote:
      > Hi, everybody out there. First let me wish you all the best with the
      > new year.
      >
      > I need your help in translating the following phrase:
      >
      > Mr. XY, podnikajici na zaklade zivnostenskeho listu
      >
      > Thanks, its quite urgent.

      A few alternatives for you:

      My preference:
      Mr XY, who carries on his business on the basis of a trade licence

      Formal:
      Mr XY, who is engaged in business on the basis of a trade licence

      Less formal and precise:
      Mr XY, who operates on a trade licence

      or:
      Mr XY, who is in business on the strength of his trade licence

      A note on 'zivnostensky list':

      I think 'trade licence' is the most frequently used translation (and
      is recommended by old Poldauf). However, the Trade Links translations
      uses 'Trade Certificate' while reserving 'trade licence' for 'koncesni
      listina' (the Caforio dictionary agrees with this practice).

      > Sarka
      >

      > P.S. I would so much like to become a regular to your weekly
      > meetings. Unfortunately, Thursday is my husband`s day off and I feel
      > should not leave my son alone.

      Which other evening would be suitable, Sarka? I'm sure we can arrange
      something.

      Regards,

      Melvyn