Off topic: UK interpreters e-petition

  • zora.jackman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2011
      Dear colleagues,

      Interpreters working in criminal justice system here in the UK are facing the situation when all work is being outsourced by the Ministry of Justice to a preferred supplier, single commercial agency, with negative consequences to the profession, one of them being drastic cuts in rates. They are also going to disregard the qualification (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting) and run their own assessments.

      There is an e-petition at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mojoutsourcing/. The wording of the petition is:

      "We, the undersigned, petition the Ministry of Justice not to outsource the provision of interpreters and translators in the justice sector to a single commercial agency. In particular, we request that:
      1. The National Agreement be preserved and made mandatory.
      2. All interpreters working in the justice sector must be registered on the National Register of Public Service Interpreters.
      3. The Ministry of Justice engage in a meaningful consultation with the interpreting profession to enable efficiency savings to take place.
      4. The Ministry of Justice consider the adverse impact the contract with the preferred supplier is likely to have on ethnic minorities and on foreign-language speakers."

      The National Agreement states that only qualified and registered interpreters should be used whenever possible. This is now going to be "disapplied", to quote the statement of the Ministry of Justice.

      I would be very grateful if you would consider signing this petition. There is a request for donation but you can ignore it as it comes after you sign the petition.

      I will be happy to answer any questions regarding this for us sad situation.

      Thank you, ZORA