Re: [Czechlist] TERM: numbers

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2 7:06 AM
      Hi Jamie,

      I would go for highs and lows (if the article was not an add placed by a
      particular bank).

      HIH
      Martin

      > When I see in a European article on foreign exchange something like the
      yen
      > going for 113,43-46 to the dollar, does the hyphenated figure indicate the
      > difference between the high and low, or the buy and sell rates?
      >
      > This is confusing to me, because the Wall Street Journal just uses a
      simple
      > figure in its articles.
      >
      > Jamie

    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2 8:28 AM
        --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
        > When I see in a European article on foreign exchange something like
        the yen
        > going for 113,43-46 to the dollar, does the hyphenated figure
        indicate the
        > difference between the high and low, or the buy and sell rates?
        >
        > This is confusing to me, because the Wall Street Journal just uses
        a simple
        > figure in its articles.
        >
        > Jamie

        It's difficult to answer that one without seeing the context. Do you
        have a specific example, Jamie?

        Most European market reports I see give a single rate, just like in
        the WSJ. Maybe your article refers to the range over a certain time
        period (e.g. during the day). Also, bear in mind that each individual
        currency trade will be at a slightly different price, depending on
        what the two parties to the deal agree. Of course, these differences
        are very small, as the forex market is highly globalised and
        information on the market price is widely available. Maybe the author
        is trying to capture the size of that range at a certain point in
        time rather than trying to nail it down to a single number.

        The "buy and "sell" rates that one sees at banks and exchange offices
        are a bit of a red herring, I think. The spread between the two is
        simply the profit or commission of the institution doing the
        exchanging, as charged to the hapless Jo Tourist. The two are also
        often given, but the range you quote seems far too narrow for this
        to be the case.

        All the best to my fellow Czechlist contributors for the New Year.

        Simon
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2 12:38 PM
          In a message dated 1/2/01 12:13:54 PM, martinjanda@... writes:

          >I would go for highs and lows (if the article was not an add placed by
          >a particular bank).

          Thank you. I assume then that the Wall Street Journal must be giving the
          closing price.

          JK