Urban dictionary, etc.

    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
      That's quite true about the Urban Dictionary, but in the case of "sock eater" the definition is accurate.

      However, you also can't completely rely on the judgment of individual native speakers as to whether usage is widespread. This is particularly true with Americans in Generation X and younger who were largely raised with impoverished vocabulary input (daycare where they're talking to other kids and hardly ever to adults, dumbed-down literature in school, etc.). I frequently find that people in that age group insist that certain extremely common expressions "don't exist".

      Jamie

      On Aug 3, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Stephan von Pohl wrote:

      > I trust urbandictionary.com only with a large bucket of salt. I've read
      > through enough of the entries there to see that people put in pretty
      > much any words they've come across. Some of the definitions strike me as
      > totally off-base, while others are clearly something used by a certain
      > segment of the population, but there is no guarantee that the particular
      > usage is widespread.

    • Stephan von Pohl
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
        > This is particularly
        > true with Americans in Generation X and younger who were largely raised
        > with impoverished vocabulary input (daycare where they're talking to
        > other kids and hardly ever to adults, dumbed-down literature in school,
        > etc.). I frequently find that people in that age group insist that
        > certain extremely common expressions "don't exist".

        Or vice versa: they might claim that something that they use is used by
        everyone. That's something I notice all the time on urbandictionary.com
        (whose contributors would appear to be neither Generation X nor Y, but
        whatever came after that)

        I don't deny the accuracy of the definition. I'm just saying that we
        never gave the creatures a name, per se. They were either sock-eaters or
        more commonly referred to like this: "looks like those little creatures
        ate my socks again". It's not a name (at least not in my circles) like
        "woodpecker" or "doberman".
      • Charlie Stanford Translations
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
          I also happen to be a native speaker Stephan.... and I find the tone of your posting and of Jamie's enough to put my back up. If you put a hyphen Jamie between "odd" and "sock" then it is pretty damn obvious that the sock eater is not "strange" but eating only one of your socks - which is the basic tenet of the book. More importantly, if this forum is going to work then both of you have to use a little bit of tactfulness and respect and not get quite so horrendously dogmatic and domineering with your answers. I did not "diss" your answers so I don't see any reason why you should do the same with mine. It is putting me off answering questions. I do not know all the answers but neither do you. I would be interested to hear from other English native speakers but to me "sock eaters" sounds "very boring and characterless and a bit crap" - there you go....

          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
            Charlie, I never meant to disrespect anyone. I'm sorry if my assessment
            of "Odd sock eater" may have been too blunt. It certainly wasn't meant
            to be disrespectful.

            As for the hyphen between odd and sock... the odd-sock construction,
            however we punctuate it, still sounds clumsy to my ears. Plus we still
            have the problem with odd=strange. Now it might be the socks that are
            strange. ;-)

            Best,
            Steve

            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
              I think Stephan only made that comment because he thought I was
              commenting on the English version of the name when I was talking about
              the Czech one... I see how frustrating it can be when you make a
              suggestions as native speaker(s) and we keep trying to apply our Czech
              logic to it (but this isn't a technical term, feelings and moods are
              involved - or should be... that's why I keep discussing it..)

              And I expect the opinions to vary a lot not only across oceans, but
              also within the same country, plus there's another concern - the
              English title will also be used for non-native speakers, I presume...
              basically I just want lots of opinions/views and then try to use them
              in either selecting the best from the existing translations or coming
              up with a new one... and as I said, this time I'm not looking for a
              ready-made translation/term that exists and says exactly what this is,
              it could be (perhaps should be - IMHO) one that's a bit mysterious (I
              could also say odd:)...

              Didn't want to start a war :)

              Anyway, thanks to all who contributed, keep going if you find a moment,
              it's interesting to hear different perspectives

              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                You can stick oddsock together as one word.

                iginal Message -----

                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                  "Odd-sock eater" sounds like a creature that eats "odd socks", i.e., socks that have something odd about them. North Americans (especially children) are unlikely to use the word "odd" to mean "a sock here and there", so they would understand "odd-sock" as meaning a misfit sock.

                  Since the term "sock eater" is already pervasive in the two largest English-speaking countries, it's probably better to use that expression than to devise something odd that will make things explicit to UK ears but grate on everyone else's.

                  Jamie

                • Liz Spacilova
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                    Hi,

                    In our household, we knew the washing machine ate the socks.

                    I guess if there was an evil little being in the house that ate single socks, earrings, gloves and mittens, they could be called ...

                    Widow makers (single socks are sometimes called "widows")
                    Match snatchers

                    ???

                    Liz

                    > > On 8/3/2011 2:46 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                    > > > So since lichozrout leaves out the sock bit, the sock-eater leaves the
                    > > > out the odd part
                    > > >
                    > > > Yes, except (to me), it sounds more mysterious with the odd/lichy thing
                    > > > rather than with the sock thing.... plus it's not a normally-used word,
                    > > > so that adds to the mystique too... If sock-eaters exist in the
                    > > > collective American folklore, then I guess that's the way to go, but it
                    > > > does take some of the poetry out..

                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Stephan von Pohl <stephan.pohl@...> wrote:
                      Maybe I'll inspire the others:

                      Well, I for one was blown away by your brainstorm. Rather clever.

                      > - Laundry Thieves
                      <snip>

                      OK so erm:
                      Mismatchers Inc.
                      Oddlings
                      Oddettes
                      Oddificators
                      The odds (e.g. that's the third sock since Tuesday - the odds are definitely against us this week)
                      Les croque-chaussette (noun, masculine invariable)
                      Strumpffresser
                      Mindsockers
                      Socksnafflers
                      Sockgobblers
                      Sockgoblins
                      Sockgobblings
                      Oddsockgobblings

                      etc

                      M.

                      <snip, snip!!!>
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                        I think "Match Snatchers" would be a good name for one of the gangs.

                        Jamie