Re: [Czechlist] TERM: numbers

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      When I see in a European article on foreign exchange something like the yen
      going for 113,43-46 to the dollar, does the hyphenated figure indicate the
      difference between the high and low, or the buy and sell rates?

      This is confusing to me, because the Wall Street Journal just uses a simple
      figure in its articles.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hi Jamie,

        I would go for highs and lows (if the article was not an add placed by a
        particular bank).

        HIH
        Martin

        > When I see in a European article on foreign exchange something like the
        yen
        > going for 113,43-46 to the dollar, does the hyphenated figure indicate the
        > difference between the high and low, or the buy and sell rates?
        >
        > This is confusing to me, because the Wall Street Journal just uses a
        simple
        > figure in its articles.
        >
        > Jamie

      • Simon Vollam
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
          > When I see in a European article on foreign exchange something like
          the yen
          > going for 113,43-46 to the dollar, does the hyphenated figure
          indicate the
          > difference between the high and low, or the buy and sell rates?
          >
          > This is confusing to me, because the Wall Street Journal just uses
          a simple
          > figure in its articles.
          >
          > Jamie

          It's difficult to answer that one without seeing the context. Do you
          have a specific example, Jamie?

          Most European market reports I see give a single rate, just like in
          the WSJ. Maybe your article refers to the range over a certain time
          period (e.g. during the day). Also, bear in mind that each individual
          currency trade will be at a slightly different price, depending on
          what the two parties to the deal agree. Of course, these differences
          are very small, as the forex market is highly globalised and
          information on the market price is widely available. Maybe the author
          is trying to capture the size of that range at a certain point in
          time rather than trying to nail it down to a single number.

          The "buy and "sell" rates that one sees at banks and exchange offices
          are a bit of a red herring, I think. The spread between the two is
          simply the profit or commission of the institution doing the
          exchanging, as charged to the hapless Jo Tourist. The two are also
          often given, but the range you quote seems far too narrow for this
          to be the case.

          All the best to my fellow Czechlist contributors for the New Year.

          Simon
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            In a message dated 1/2/01 12:13:54 PM, martinjanda@... writes:

            >I would go for highs and lows (if the article was not an add placed by
            >a particular bank).

            Thank you. I assume then that the Wall Street Journal must be giving the
            closing price.

            JK