Re: Re[4]: [Czechlist] Creative translation contest: Lichoz^routi, Lichac^e

  • Kent Christopher Kasha
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011
      Matej, is it evident from the word lichozrout that they are discussing socks? If you had never heard of the book or its premise before, would you automatically know that it is socks he is eating? Just wondering...

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011
          Matej, is it evident from the word lichozrout that they are discussing
          socks? If you had never heard of the book or its premise before, would
          you automatically know that it is socks he is eating? Just wondering...

          No, it isn't - I said that in my original post... the socks bit only
          becomes apparent when you read the explanation... and although the
          explanation is for socks only, I guess it would work with any other
          thing that comes in pairs (mind you, they look like socks)... In Czech
          we say things like 'kamenozrout' (some sort of mystical creature that
          eats stones), so lichozrout kind of has that quality about it without
          knowing about the socks..

          but then given the popularity I think it has became a bit of a
          household name among families whose kids read the books.... and with it
          being mentioned hundred times in the film (I would expect)... it should
          have the same snappiness to it... it doesn't necessarily have to be
          self-explanatory, just open-ended and poetic and to do with
          odd-numbers/breaking a pair of something if possible..

          Matej