Re: [Czechlist] CHAT Welcome to the Third Millennium

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
      In a message dated 1/1/01 4:31:11 PM, barendregt@... writes:

      >I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
      >People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
      >about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
      >him simply as 'George Dubya'.

      And I'll bet almost all of those people themselves say "dubya dubya dubya"
      when reciting the URL of some website. One of the funniest things about
      language is how people stigmatize things they do themselves. Middle-class
      white Americans have fits if you point out to them that they are pronouncing
      "picture" as "pitcher". They will angrily tell you, "I did NOT say
      'pitcher', I said 'pitcher'!" In West Bohemia my ears and mouth picked up
      the West Bohemian habit of using "mi" for both the dative and accusative
      cases. I had more than one person tell me that "everybody" is starting to do
      that, but that it is terribly improper and that no one should never speak
      that way. Seconds later, the same person would turn right around and say
      something like, "Takze, on mi videl a ..."