Re: [Czechlist] CHAT Welcome to the Third Millennium

  • Barendregt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
      Melvyn Clarke wrote:
      > Is it something to do with the
      > way George W. Bush (bless him) pronounces 'Dubai'?

      I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
      People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
      about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
      him simply as 'George Dubya'.

      Tom
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
        >So how do you like
        >the new millennium so far? Good eh?

        Somehow I expected 2001 to be different....

        > Made any resolutions?

        I resolved to break all my resolutions. So far I've failed....

        >BTW Michael, what was it you wanted to ask Trados users about last
        >millennium?? :)

        A colleague was looking for translators in the CR equipped with
        Trados for a possible project.

        Michael

        --
        "The only thing I know about Slovakia is what I learned first-hand
        from your foreign minister, who came to Texas."

        - George W. Bush to a Slovak journalist, quoted by Knight Ridder News Service, June 22/99. Bush's meeting was with Janez Drnovsek, the prime minister of Slovenia.
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
          In a message dated 1/1/01 4:31:11 PM, barendregt@... writes:

          >I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
          >People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
          >about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
          >him simply as 'George Dubya'.

          And I'll bet almost all of those people themselves say "dubya dubya dubya"
          when reciting the URL of some website. One of the funniest things about
          language is how people stigmatize things they do themselves. Middle-class
          white Americans have fits if you point out to them that they are pronouncing
          "picture" as "pitcher". They will angrily tell you, "I did NOT say
          'pitcher', I said 'pitcher'!" In West Bohemia my ears and mouth picked up
          the West Bohemian habit of using "mi" for both the dative and accusative
          cases. I had more than one person tell me that "everybody" is starting to do
          that, but that it is terribly improper and that no one should never speak
          that way. Seconds later, the same person would turn right around and say
          something like, "Takze, on mi videl a ..."