CHAT Welcome to the Third Millennium

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:
      > World still didn't end? Damn!
      > Michael

      No mention of it on our weather forecast, anyway. So how do you like
      the new millennium so far? Good eh? Made any resolutions?

      BTW Michael, what was it you wanted to ask Trados users about last
      millennium?? :)

      > --
      > Dubya, Dubya, Dubya, Thief Dot Con

      Huh? Is this the kind of thing where I show what a stupid shitkicker I
      am if I don't laugh knowledgeably? :) Is it something to do with the
      way George W. Bush (bless him) pronounces 'Dubai'?

      Melvyn
    • Barendregt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
        Melvyn Clarke wrote:
        > Is it something to do with the
        > way George W. Bush (bless him) pronounces 'Dubai'?

        I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
        People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
        about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
        him simply as 'George Dubya'.

        Tom
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
          >So how do you like
          >the new millennium so far? Good eh?

          Somehow I expected 2001 to be different....

          > Made any resolutions?

          I resolved to break all my resolutions. So far I've failed....

          >BTW Michael, what was it you wanted to ask Trados users about last
          >millennium?? :)

          A colleague was looking for translators in the CR equipped with
          Trados for a possible project.

          Michael

          --
          "The only thing I know about Slovakia is what I learned first-hand
          from your foreign minister, who came to Texas."

          - George W. Bush to a Slovak journalist, quoted by Knight Ridder News Service, June 22/99. Bush's meeting was with Janez Drnovsek, the prime minister of Slovenia.
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
            In a message dated 1/1/01 4:31:11 PM, barendregt@... writes:

            >I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
            >People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
            >about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
            >him simply as 'George Dubya'.

            And I'll bet almost all of those people themselves say "dubya dubya dubya"
            when reciting the URL of some website. One of the funniest things about
            language is how people stigmatize things they do themselves. Middle-class
            white Americans have fits if you point out to them that they are pronouncing
            "picture" as "pitcher". They will angrily tell you, "I did NOT say
            'pitcher', I said 'pitcher'!" In West Bohemia my ears and mouth picked up
            the West Bohemian habit of using "mi" for both the dative and accusative
            cases. I had more than one person tell me that "everybody" is starting to do
            that, but that it is terribly improper and that no one should never speak
            that way. Seconds later, the same person would turn right around and say
            something like, "Takze, on mi videl a ..."