Re[2]: FW: [Czechlist] "spolecnost" + name

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2011
      I have a client for whom I translate marketing and technical material
      into Czech.

      Their company name is globally known, short and ambiguous enough not to
      mean anything and/or not to be associated with any gender in
      gender-specific languages (and the company's not from an
      English-speaking country).

      I have to add 'spolecnost' in front of nearly every occurence because
      without it it just sounds silly and you don't know what endings
      (fem/masc/neutr) to use... the real fun starts when there's four
      adjectives, a couple of possesives and something else in one short
      sentence..

      Like others, I tend to avoid/omit these things as much as possible, but
      there are times (in Czech) when avoiding it just makes the sentence
      awkward... there's no hard rules, I think it's all about hearing the
      sentence in my mind..