millennnium

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
      World still didn't end? Damn!
      Michael

      --
      Dubya, Dubya, Dubya, Thief Dot Con
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:
        > World still didn't end? Damn!
        > Michael

        No mention of it on our weather forecast, anyway. So how do you like
        the new millennium so far? Good eh? Made any resolutions?

        BTW Michael, what was it you wanted to ask Trados users about last
        millennium?? :)

        > --
        > Dubya, Dubya, Dubya, Thief Dot Con

        Huh? Is this the kind of thing where I show what a stupid shitkicker I
        am if I don't laugh knowledgeably? :) Is it something to do with the
        way George W. Bush (bless him) pronounces 'Dubai'?

        Melvyn
      • Barendregt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
          Melvyn Clarke wrote:
          > Is it something to do with the
          > way George W. Bush (bless him) pronounces 'Dubai'?

          I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
          People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
          about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
          him simply as 'George Dubya'.

          Tom
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
            >So how do you like
            >the new millennium so far? Good eh?

            Somehow I expected 2001 to be different....

            > Made any resolutions?

            I resolved to break all my resolutions. So far I've failed....

            >BTW Michael, what was it you wanted to ask Trados users about last
            >millennium?? :)

            A colleague was looking for translators in the CR equipped with
            Trados for a possible project.

            Michael

            --
            "The only thing I know about Slovakia is what I learned first-hand
            from your foreign minister, who came to Texas."

            - George W. Bush to a Slovak journalist, quoted by Knight Ridder News Service, June 22/99. Bush's meeting was with Janez Drnovsek, the prime minister of Slovenia.
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
              In a message dated 1/1/01 4:31:11 PM, barendregt@... writes:

              >I don't think so - it is the way he calls himself: George Dubya Bush.
              >People who do not really like him so much (and yes, I am talking mostly
              >about the leftist liberal independent-paper-writing lot) often refer to
              >him simply as 'George Dubya'.

              And I'll bet almost all of those people themselves say "dubya dubya dubya"
              when reciting the URL of some website. One of the funniest things about
              language is how people stigmatize things they do themselves. Middle-class
              white Americans have fits if you point out to them that they are pronouncing
              "picture" as "pitcher". They will angrily tell you, "I did NOT say
              'pitcher', I said 'pitcher'!" In West Bohemia my ears and mouth picked up
              the West Bohemian habit of using "mi" for both the dative and accusative
              cases. I had more than one person tell me that "everybody" is starting to do
              that, but that it is terribly improper and that no one should never speak
              that way. Seconds later, the same person would turn right around and say
              something like, "Takze, on mi videl a ..."